Read Hume local and family history information on the Hume Libraries website.
History of Hume City Council
Hume City Council was created by Order of the Governor In Council, Gazetted on the 15 December, 1994. Hume City Council is comprised predominately of major parts of the former Shire of Bulla and City of Broadmeadows with smaller portions of the former Cities of Whittlesea and Keilor. The Council comprises of eleven elected Councillors including the Mayor. The city is divided into three wards with four councillors elected in each of the Meadow Valley and Aitken wards, and three councillors representing the Jacksons Creek ward.
Cr Geoff Porter, who represents Meadow Valley Ward, was elected the Mayor of Hume by his fellow Councillors at Council's Statutory Meeting in the Broadmeadows Council Chamber on 1 November 2012. Aitken Ward Councillor Casey Nunn was elected as Deputy Mayor.
Former Mayors Include:
- Councillor Rosalind (Ros) Spence (2011-2012)
- Councillor Helen Patsikatheodorou (2010-2011)
- Councillor Geoff Porter (2009-2010)
- Councillor Jack Ogilvie (2008-2009)
- Councillor Mohamad Abbouche (2007-2008)
- Councillor Gary Jungwirth (2006-2007)
- Councillor Adem Atmaca (2005-2006)
- Councillor Kevin Sheahan (2004-2005)
- Councillor Mohamad Abbouche (2004-2004)
- Councillor Burhan Yigit (2003-2004)
- Councillor Ann Potter (2002-2003)
- Councillor Andrew (Drew) Jessop (2001-2002)
- Councillor Gary Jungwirth (2000-2001)
- Councillor Carl Lewis (1997-1998)
- Councillor Jack Ogilvie (1999-2000)
- Councillor William (Bill) Muir (1998-1999)