We aim to reduce the harmful affects of tobacco smoking through:
- enforcing smoke free dining
- banning smoking in designated areas of Licensed premises and shopping centres
- regulating sales to minors
- regulating display and advertising of tobacco products
- banning illegal tobacco products
- applying penalties for sales to minors.
We conduct regular education visits to tobacco retailers, eating establishments, licensed premises and gaming venues in regards to administering and enforcing requirements under the Tobacco Act. This includes conducting regular Test Purchases in relation to Sales to Minors and enforcing non-compliances in response to education visits and public complaints.
If you believe that a business is breaching the tobacco laws you may contact Public Health Services and log a complaint. This business will then receive an education visit and will be targeted during the next test purchasing run.
Further information about Tobacco Control can be obtained from the Department of Human Services website.