Lost and Found Pets
If your pet is lost call the Lost Dogs' Home on 9329 2755.
If your pet is wearing a registration tag, it can be easily returned to you. If we are unable to contact the owner, the dog or cat will be taken to the Lost Dogs' Home at 2 Gracie Street, North Melbourne. If the dog is not registered with Council, owners must pay to register the dog prior to reclaiming it from the Animal Shelter. A fine may also be given.
What should I do to find my pet?
- search your property
- check the local area
- call Hume City Council on 9205 2200
- call all neighbouring councils (listed below)
- call your local vets
- contact Lost Dogs' Home 9329 2755
- advertise with flyers and signs
The Lost Dogs' Home
2 Gracie Street
North Melbourne, Vic 3051
Phone: (03) 9329 2755
Hours: Mon-Thu 10:00am- 6:15pm
Fri 10:00am- 4:45pm Sat-Sun 9:00am-12:30pm
The Lost Dogs' Home and Cat Shelter is one of Australia's largest animal welfare organisations. Its mission is to look after and reduce the number of sick, stray, abandoned and unwanted animals.
Listing of local councils near Hume:
Moreland City Council 9240 1111
City of Whittlesea 9217 2170
Macedon Shire Council 5422 0333
Melton City Council 9747 7200
Brimbank City Council 9249 4000
Prevent your pet becoming lost by making sure:
- they have a secure backyard to play in
- close your gates
- your cat is confined at night
- your cats and dogs are microchipped and registered
- you spend lots of time playing and exercising your pet
- your pet is away from loud noises
- choose a pet which suits your family
Information provided by Department of Primary Industries.
What if I've found a lost pet?
Residents who have found pets are advised to contact Council on 9205 2200 (even after hours). The after hours team can respond to collect found animals, if they are confined, or may be able to contact the owner if current registration details are on the animal.
To report a dead dog or cat, please contact Council on 9205 2200 (after hours – 9205 2200).