Problems with Animals
A licensed Wildlife Controller will need to be contacted if there are any issues with animals such as possums, snakes, kangaroos and other wildlife. If you have a concern about the welfare of any animal, whether it is a pet or livestock, contact the RSPCA .
Kangaroos and Koalas
For assistance with injured or stray Kangaroos or Koalas call Wildlife Victoria on 1300 094 535.
There are companies listed in the Yellow Pages (search for Pest Control) who are able to trap and release problem possums.
August to November can be a very uncomfortable time if you are living in Magpie territory. This is the period in which attacks can occur. Native birds are protected under the Wildlife Act 1975 and it is an offence to harass or destroy native birds or their eggs.
Residents wanting more information can call the Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) on 136 186 or visit the DSE website for more information on swooping.
For Professional Removal Please Contact:
Craigieburn: Graeme Koch 0425 719 974
Sunbury: Peter Elliott 0405 203 959
Sunbury: Paul Purvinas (PP Hire) 0400 608 067
Sunbury: Kassandra Townhill 0437 096 776
All areas: Reptile Relocations 0423474604
General: Professional Wildlife Controllers 0418 824 248
*Please note: A fee for these services may apply.
Ways of Reducing the Chances of Snakes on Your Property:
- do not leave piles of tin, firewood, garden cuttings or rubbish lying around for a snake to shelter under
- on a suburban block, avoid the accumulation of thick vegetation and rubbish on the outside of a fence. If living in the country, try to keep the area immediately around the house and garage free of rubbish and thick vegetation
- avoid allowing grass to grow too long, especially near the house
- if you keep hens, other animals or have feed stations for native birds or possums, ensure that all food is kept in secure containers and that the animal's areas are kept clean
- on an average-sized block of land (0.1ha), a paling fence 1.55m high with horizontal supports on the inside will deter most snakes if dug into the ground by 30cm
- ensure that all perimeter doors to your home are secure and do not have gaps. Spring loaded weather strips correctly fitted to a door will prevent a vagrant snake entering your home
- store all material, on your property and in sheds, off the ground
Bees and Wasps
Will Council remove bees/wasps from my property?
Council does not remove bees/wasps from private property. You may choose to remove the wasps by using European wasp insecticide dust which can be purchased at supermarkets or nurseries or alternatively, hire a pest control company. You can obtain further information by contacting the Bee Information Line: 1902 241 059 (Call cost $2.20 per minute including GST, higher from mobiles and pay phones. MediaTel.)
Will Council remove bees/wasps from Council property?
Council does remove bees/wasps from Council property. You can contact us on 9205 2200 to request the removal.
European wasp information line: Tel: 1800 060 864 or visit the CSIRO website
Barking Dogs and Cat Traps
Visit our Barking Dogs & Cats Traps webpage for more information.
To report a dead dog or cat, please contact Council on 9205 2200 (after hours – 9205 2200).