Political Advertising forthcoming Federal Election 2019

Hume City Council advises all candidates who have nominated in the forthcoming Federal Election 2019 that political advertising is not permitted on Hume City Council property including Council’s road reserve. 

Hume City Council is the Responsible Authority for local roads under the Road Management Act 2004.  As such, Council land also includes road reserves.    

While political advertising is not permitted on Council land or road reserves, the Hume Planning Scheme (HPS) outlines that a Planning Permit is not required on private property provided such political advertising meets the criteria as outlined in 52.05-4 as follows:

Hume Planning Scheme 52.05- 10 Signs not requiring a permit

A permit is not required to display the following signs:

  • A sign with an advertisement area not exceeding 5 square metres publicising a local educational, cultural, political, religious, social or recreational event not held for commercial purposes.  Only one sign may be displayed on the land, it must not be an animated or internally-illuminated sign and it must not be displayed longer than 14 days after the event is held or 3 months, whichever is sooner.  A sign publicising a local political event may include information about a candidate for an election.

 Signage outside these parameters may require a Planning Permit which will be required before the signage is utilized.  The above applies to private land only (approval of private land holders would be required). 

Failure to comply with the above will result in a Planning Infringement Notice being issued to both the owner of the land and the candidate to the current amount of between $806.00 and $1612.00.

For further information please contact Council’s Statutory Planning Enforcement Unit on 9205 2200

Building Permit Requirements:   

Many signs do require a Building Permit.  The Building Act 1993 and the Building Regulations 2018 require that a Building Permit is required for any sign that exceeds 1.0 metres in height if located within 3.0 metres of any street alignment boundary of the allotment on which it is proposed to be erected. 

If a sign is to be located or set back on an allotment a distance further than 3.0 metres from any street alignment boundary, a Building Permit will be required if the sign exceeds 8.0 metres in height or if the sign has a display area exceeding 6 metres2

Building Permits must be issued prior to the erection of a sign.  The penalties for non-compliance are up to 500 penalty units ($80,595.00) in the case of an individual and 2500 penalty units ($402,975.00) in the case of a company.  

For further information about the construction of signs, please contact Council’s Building Control Services department on 9205 2200. 

Signage placed on footpaths 

Permits are required for the placement of signage on footpaths, such as A-frames

Street stall and leaflet distribution activity permit

Street Stall and Leaflet Distribution activities are for organisations wishing to set up a display on Council land to share information.

The Environment Protection Act 1970 places certain stipulations on persons distributing material such as leaflets which may become litter. This means when applying for a permit you must provide a litter management plan to ensure any distributing material does not end up as litter.

Signage within Council’s road reserve: 

Any signage found to be situated on Council property will be removed and any political advertising signage on Council’s road reserves will be removed in accordance with the Road Management Act 2004 (Section 66). 

Please note that under the Road Management Act 2004 (Section 66) (1) (b) is 3 penalty units ($483.57).   

The Road Register lists all road within the Hume Municipality and is available online at http://www.hume.vic.gov.au/Business_Major_Projects/Major_Projects/Roads_Transport/Local_VicRoads

For further information please contact Council’s Technical Services Department on 9205 2200.

Signage within VicRoads road reserve:

VicRoads is required to meet obligations with respect to road safety within the arterial road network.  VicRoads should be contacted prior to any installation of any signage on the road reserve where VicRoads is the co-ordinating Authority.

VicRoads have power under the Road Management Act 2004 to remove anything placed unlawfully without prior consent on the arterial road network.

The Register of Public Roads within Hume with VicRoads as the co-ordinating road authority are listed at www.vicroads.vic.gov.au

Please refer to the VicRoads Interim Policy.  For further information regarding VicRoads road reserves please contact the VicRoads Signing and Planning Officer on 9313 11

Infringement Penalty Unit:

As at 01 July 2018 a Penalty Unit is $161.19. e.g. 500 Penalty Units = $80,595.00.  Penalty Units are set by the Department of Justice and can be found at https://www.justice.vic.gov.au/justice-system/fines-and-penalties/penalties-and-values

Hume City Council thanks all candidates in anticipation of compliance with all requirements regarding political signage within the Municipal boundaries during the forthcoming Federal Election.


Posted on 11:00 AM, 7 May 2019

Updated : 12:23 PM, 10 May 2019

What's Near Me?