Asset Protection and Permit Requirements

Council's Asset Protection Permits are designed to keep Hume's infrastructure assets (like footpaths, kerb, vehicle cross overs, services pits, street trees, nature strips, signage and drains) protected from damage resulting from building and construction activities.

You must obtain an Asset Protection Permit from Hume Council before any works are commenced on site or you may be subject to penalties including fines or prosecution.

Penalties may apply if:

  • a permit is not obtained prior to commencing building work, or
  • if you fail to identify pre-existing damage to assets.


You can apply for an Asset Protection Permit online through Council's eHume portal. 

The non-refundable application and assessment fee for an Asset Protection Permit is $465. 

You will first need to register for eHume if you do not already have a login.

Login to eHume

Register for eHume 

If there is any pre-existing damage to Council's assets, this must be recorded and submitted at the time of your application.  Late notice of pre-existing damage will not be listed on the permit.  Please ensure you include photographic evidence with your application in a Word or PDF Format.  This will help protect you from being liable for any damage that may be pre-existing prior to building construction works.  Council's asset includes (but not limited to) kerb, nature strip, footpath, signs, service pits etc.

In person/mail

Visit one of our Customer Service Centres in Broadmeadows, Craigieburn or Sunbury.

     Customer Service

Or mail your cheque or money order made out to Hume City Council together with your Application for Asset Protection Permit Form(PDF, 181KB) and any supporting documents to:

Hume City Council
PO Box 119
DALLAS  VIC  3047       

Applications will be assessed within approximately 10 working days and processed in order of receipt. Council does not provide a fast track service. Permits will be sent via email (if provided).

Builders and owner builders must obtain an Asset Protection Permit when conducting any building works on private or public property in accordance with the General Purposes Local Law No. 1 2023(PDF, 385KB)  and Building and Works Code of Practice(PDF, 614KB)

Building and Works Code of Practice

The Building and Works Code of Practice(PDF, 614KB) provides a range of information about managing building sites in Hume.  This document is designed for builders and others involved in construction and will assist you to understand your obligations around safety and amenity during building activities.