Asset Protection

Asset Protection Permits can now quickly and easily be applied for through Council’s eHume system. You would need to register first to become an eHume user. Please follow this link to register: Register for eHume.

Council's Asset Protection program is designed to ensure that the valuable infrastructure assets (like footpaths, kerb and drains) and environment of Hume City are protected from damage as a result of building and construction activities. To ensure that this occurs, Council's General Local Law No. 1 requires that builders and owner builders must obtain an Asset Protection Permit in the following circumstances:

  • carrying out building works associated with the construction, extension or demolition of any dwelling, factory, office, warehouse, or health-care, educational or public building at a cost of more than $20,000
  • entering a building site by means of a motor vehicle having a gross weight exceeding two tonnes, (Delivery of concrete, bricks, tiles, roofing steel, timber, concrete pumps, cranes etc.)
  • occupying a road for works, (Including footpaths, vehicle crossings and nature strips)
  • connecting any land to a stormwater drain, (Legal Point of Discharge)
  • breaking open a road, (including footpaths vehicle crossings and nature strips)
  • altering or repairing a road (including footpaths vehicle crossings and nature strips)
  • opening any Council drain, altering or repairing any Council drain
  • accessing a building site from a point other than a vehicle crossing.

Heavy vehicles and construction activities in general are a major cause of damage to infrastructure assets. The person in charge of the building work must carry out an inspection to record any pre-existing infrastructure damage, take photographs for evidence, and include this information with the application; which should be made using the Application for Asset Protection Permit. This can be found in our forms page.

Council must have issued the Asset Protection Permit before any building works are commenced. Our Asset Protection Officers will inspect the condition of infrastructure assets following the completion of your building works. In the event that a permit is not obtained prior to commencing building work, or pre-existing damage is not reported to Council, the owner will be held accountable for any damage identified after the completion of building work.

Why should I pay for an Asset Protection Permit when Council does not repair the broken footpaths around the area?

Builder's vehicles and machines cause much of the footpath and infrastructure damage in Hume City. The permit fee contributes to the costs associated with administering and enforcing Council's Asset Protection Program. If these fees were not levied on builders the costs associated with administering and enforcing the program would be borne by ratepayers.

I live in a rural area and have no footpath or kerbs to protect - Why do I need a Permit?

Protection of Community Assets relates to infrastructure as well as environmental assets. Building works in rural areas do contribute to problems such as litter and waste pollution on roads, open drains, creeks and waterways. For this reason Asset Protection requirements are still relevant to rural building sites. Applications for exemption from these requirements must be made in writing to Council's Building Assets Officer prior to commencing building works.

There are no heavy vehicles entering the building site - What do I do?

If your building works are of a minor nature and will not involve heavy vehicles entering the building site you should make written application to Council in writing for an exemption from the requirements for an Asset Protection Permit. Such an application must be made prior to commencing building work.

Asset Protection Officer
Hume City Council
PO Box 119 Dallas 3047

Is the Asset Protection fee refundable if there are no damages at the end of the job?

Asset Protection Permit Fees are non-Refundable fees designed to cover Council's administration costs.

Why do I need to notify Council of damage to assets or change of details?

Council should be advised of pre-existing damage to infrastructure assets adjacent the building site before building work commences. If pre-existing damage is not brought to Council's attention before work starts it is probable that the damage will be attributed to the building work activities and you will be required to pay the costs of reinstatement to the Council.

Council ceased the practice of requiring builders to lodge a deposit with the Council because of the significant workload and cost associated with administering and refunding a deposit system. The current system is a more cost-effective and avoids tying up Builder's money in Council trust funds.

What can I use as Site Fencing?

Building Site Fencing can be any form of safe, stable and secure fencing system that achieves the objective of the Hume City Council Building and Works Code of Practice. It is often more cost effective for owners to erect permanent boundary fences around their building site prior to commencing their building work, thus avoiding some of the costs associated with temporary fencing.

Building Site fencing must:

  • enclose the building site fully
  • be at least 1.5m in height
  • be adequate to prevent all litter from being blown from the site
  • have only one point of entry which must correspond with the vehicle crossing
  • be provided with a 1.5m high gate at the point of entry.

Do I need a Stormwater Connection Permit for a dwelling extension?

The Building Regulations 2006 requires that prior to the issue of a Building Permit for building work that will include a stormwater drainage system, the Relevant Building Surveyor must obtain a report from the Council indicating the location of the legal point of stormwater discharge .

Council's General Local Law No. 1 requires that before a stormwater drainage system is connected to the legal point of discharge, the builder must obtain an Asset Protection Permit to make the connection. This Asset Protection Permit will contain the information required to satisfy the requirements of the Building Regulations. Link to Application for Property Info Stormwater. This can be found in our forms page.

Updated : 10:43 AM, 28 June 2018

What's Near Me?