Business Entry Point

Content provided by Business Entry Point. Hume City Council is not responsible for the accuracy or reliability of content on linked web sites. Linked web sites will open in a new browser window.

Starting a Business

Starting a small business involves a range of dealings with federal, state, territory and local government agencies. You'll need to register your business for taxation purposes, register your business or company name and, in some instances, obtain business licences and permits. This page provides an overview of what you need to do in each state and territory when starting up.


Taxation legislation is administered by the federal and state and territory governments. Before you can begin operating your new small business you'll need to know what you must do to comply with government taxation regulations. As well as applying for an Australian Business Number (ABN), Goods and Services Tax (GST), Tax File Number (TFN) and Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT), you may be required to pay state and territory land tax, pay-roll tax and other duties. This page provides information about the different taxes that may apply, paying tax and managing taxation records.

Registering a Business

Registering a business name in the state or territory in which you operate your small business is compulsory. New companies must register with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC). This page will help you find out what you need to know and where to go for company registration and business name registration.

Licences and Permits

It is important to have the correct business licences and permits required to legally operate your small business. This page can help you find business licence and permit information from the federal, state and territory, and local governments.

Grants and Financial Assistance

Grants, funding programs and industry assistance are available from the federal and state and territory governments. This page provides information on what grants and other assistance are available for starting and expanding your small business, research and development, innovation and exporting.

Home Based Business

If you are running a home-based business there is a range of government requirements that might apply to you. Things to consider when running a small business from home include taxation, employment, council approval and licensing. Find links from this page to what you need to know about setting up and running your home-based business.

Employing People

Employing staff for your small business carries certain legal responsibilities with respect to your employees. This page provides information and links regarding your obligations as an employer in relation to your employees' awards, wages and conditions of employment, workplace safety and dismissal.

Tenders and Contracts

Government tenders and other opportunities for selling goods or providing services to government agencies are available through many websites. This page provides links to tenders, contracts, purchasing and small business opportunities with the federal, state and territory and local governments.

Exiting a Business

When closing, selling or winding up a small business there are a number of government regulations concerning company and business name deregistration, employee payments and cancellation of taxation registrations to be met. Find out more about what you need to do when you close down or sell your small business.

Importing and Exporting

Are you considering expanding your business by importing or exporting goods? There are strict regulations on importing and exporting goods, so it is vitally important that you find out what applies to you.

Online Business

E-business is changing the way that people are doing business. By trading online small businesses can save time and money, reduce overheads and gain access to new markets and significantly increase profits. The federal and state and territory governments offer information and services that will help you get your small business online.


Franchises in Australia are bound by the Franchising Code of Conduct which requires franchisors to disclose specific information and follow certain rules. Assistance for small business operators who are buying, extending or renewing a franchise, or who need help with resolving disputes may also be available from state and territory governments.

Retail Leasing

States and territory governments are responsible for commercial and retail tenancies, each having its own retail tenancy legislation or regulations. The federal government provides additional protection against unfair trading under the Trade Practices Act 1974 and Corporations Law. This page provides links to information about retail and commercial tenancy legislation for small business.

Market Research and Statistics

Statistical data and other market analysis information is available to assist small businesses to start and expand.

Taxation and Superannuation for Your Workers

Employers have certain superannuation obligations for their staff. Under the superannuation guarantee legislation, super contributions for staff are a percentage of their earnings base. Employers who don't pay enough superannuation contributions will have to pay the Superannuation Guarantee Charge. Find more information about the superannuation requirements for your small business from this page.

Advice and Support

Small business can take advantage of a broad range of advice and support offered by the federal, state and territory and local governments. These services include information and advice on starting and expanding a business, obtaining funding and training.

Skills and Training

Small business owners can take advantage of a number of training services and programs available to them when employing trainees and apprentices. Incentives and subsidies are available from the federal and state and territory governments to help reduce the cost of training employees.

Fair Trading

Government laws and industry self-regulation for fair trading help small businesses to ensure that they are competitive and do not abuse their market power.

This information is bought to you by the Business Entry Point in partnership with Federal, State and Territory Governments.

Updated : 8:53 AM, 30 March 2017

Related Links

What's Near Me?