You must apply for a permit to place a shipping container on your land or on the roadway. All works must comply with the Victorian Government's stage four restrictions.
You can keep a shipping container in your front yard for up to 14 days, or in your backyard for up to three months.
The permit application is to be accompanied by:
- application fee of $51.84 - this is a non-refundable administration & assessment fee
- a statement or purpose for the use of the container
- the occupiers of all adjoining land must be consulted and their signatures and comments obtained by the applicant prior to any permit consideration
- containers must be screened, painted or otherwise obscured so as to minimise negative visual impact to neighbours
- any permits issued under these conditions may be subject to Town Planning department or Building department regulations
Placement of shipping containers on a road reserve/public place will only be considered for three days and only if the shipping container can't be placed in your front or backyard.
When placing a shipping container on the road you are required to submit a Traffic Management Plan along with the application. Traffic management is to be undertaken in accordance with AS1742.3:2019 and the Road Management Act 2004: Code of Practice - Worksite Safety - Traffic Management.
All shipping containers placed in a public place need to be marked to ensure safety to residents, pedestrians and other road users e.g. flashing yellow light and/or yellow reflective tape.
Any damage caused to the road reserve by the delivery or placement of the container will be at the cost of the applicant.
APPLY FOR YOUR SHIPPING CONTAINER PERMIT ONLINE
You can use our eHume system to instantly lodge and pay for your Shipping Container Application request.
Login to eHume if you have an existing eHume account
Register for eHume if you are new to eHume
APPLY FOR YOUR SHIPPING CONTAINER PERMIT BY MAIL
You can submit an application by post using the Shipping Container Permit Application Form(PDF, 153KB).
Send your application with your payment and all relevant documentation to:
Hume City Council
PO Box 119
Dallas VIC 3047
Or email to:
Att: Technical Services Department
ALL WORKS MUST COMPLY WITH COVID-19 RESTRICTIONS
To find out more information about Council’s conditions and guidelines please read the Shipping Container and Waste Skip Policy