Local Law Permits and Applications

12 Result(s) Found

Permits to consume alcohol on Council land are generally granted to sporting clubs who occupy a Council reserve and use Council venues and facilities.

When applying for a permit to consume alcohol on Council land, the applicant must provide:

  • A current copy of public liability insurance to the value of $10,000,000 valid for the period of the permit noting Council's interest
  • A current copy of their Liquor License
  • A police comment
  • Event dates and times
  • To find out more information about Council's conditions and guidelines or to apply for a permit please use our online form:

Apply online

Please ensure you read Council's conditions prior to applying for a permit.

Under the Domestic Animals Act 1994, a Domestic Animal Business is considered to be:

  • An animal shelter
  • A pet shop (must be open at least five days per week)
  • A breeding establishment where the owner has between three and 10 fertile female dogs or cats, is not a member of an applicable organisation, and breeds to sell.
  • A dog training establishment (where the business is run for profit)
  • An establishment boarding dogs or cats (where the business is run for profit to provide overnight, daycare or home care boarding).

These businesses must register their premises as a Domestic Animal Business with Council before they can operate. Domestic Animal Business registration must be renewed annually.

Council officers conduct thorough Annual audits on Domestic Animal Businesses to ensure they are registered with Council, comply with the Domestic Animals Act 1994, all codes of practice, Council's local and planning laws. 

Please contact Council's planning department.to check that planning permits cover the type of business you intend to operate and attach this permit with your application. Your application will not be approved without a current planning permit.

For more information see Agriculture Victoria's website regarding Domestic Animal Businesses or contact the City Laws team on 9205 2200.

Buskers under the age of 16 years of age must have parental or legal guardian consent to apply for a permit. It is mandatory that children under this age have parental or legal guardian supervision at all times while performing.

Buskers may give audiences an opportunity to provide voluntary donations by placing a container on their site. Buskers may not approach individuals requesting money or solicit funds in a way that is offensive to members of the public.

To find out more information about Council's conditions and guidelines or to apply for a permit see the Busking Permit Application.

Please ensure you read Council's conditions before applying for a permit.

Anyone looking to occupy a caravan that is not in a registered caravan park or camping area must apply for a permit.

Council will take the following into consideration when assessing the application:

  • The applicants proposed means of hygiene, sanitary requirements, garbage disposal and power are satisfactory.
  • The number of people occupying the caravan.
  • The location of the caravan on the land.
  • Reason for use of the caravan on the land.
  • Length of intended occupancy.
  • Any objections to the application.

To find out more about Council's conditions and guidelines or to apply for a permit see Caravan-Permit-Application-2021-2022.pdf(PDF, 216KB) .

Please ensure you read Council's conditions prior to applying for a permit.

Fundraising permits allow charities to collect funds on footpaths, at intersections and set up street stalls within Hume.

There are different permits depending on what activity you wish to conduct.

Council charges no fee for fundraising permits, however there is a limit on how many permits can be issued. You can only apply for twelve permits per calendar year, one day per month. Any additional requests may be considered on a case by case basis.

Applications must be accompanied by the relevant request supporting documentation to be considered.

 Fundraising permit application

Fundraising activity permits

Fundraising activity permits are for charitable organisations or not-for-profits that are looking to conduct a fundraising appeal, pledge program or a door knock to raise money.

Street stall and leaflet distribution

Street stall and leaflet distribution activities are for organisations that would like to set up a display on Council land and share information. The Environmental Protection Act 1970 places certain restrictions on the distribution of material such as leaflets which may become litter. This means when applying for a permit you must provide a litter management plan to ensure any distributing material does not end up as litter.

Highway collection permits

Highway collections must be submitted to Council and then to Victoria Police for approval. Applications must be submitted one month prior to the event date and not more than six months in advance of the event date.

If Council permission is granted to conduct highway collections, you will be required to submit an application under regulation 28 of the Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations 2009 with Victoria Police. For more information, visit the Victoria Police website.

Anyone seeking or wanting to keep a motor vehicle weighing more than 4.5 tonnes on private land within 50 metres of any dwelling on adjoining land must apply for a permit under Council's General Local Law No.1-2013(PDF, 323KB).

Please note: Applicants must apply prior to the keeping of a motor vehicle that weighs more than 4.5 tonnes within 50 metres of any dwelling on adjoining land.


What Does Council take into consideration?

Council will need to take into consideration a number of things when assessing a heavy motor vehicle application, this includes, but is not limited to the following:

  • Any requirements of Council's Traffic & Civil Design Department, Technical Services Department, Health Department and Statutory Planning Department.
  • Environmental Protection Authority's guidelines with regards to residential noise and emissions.
  • The purpose of the motor vehicle being kept at the specified address.
  • The placement of the vehicle on the property.
  • The views of adjoining property owners or occupiers.
  • The views/requirements of VicRoads.
  • The property crossover used by the heavy motor vehicle must be constructed to Industrial Crossing Standards.

How do I apply?

Where a person applies for a permit under Council's General Local Law No.1-2013(PDF, 323KB), clause 3.4.1, Council will notify and consider the views of the owners or occupiers of land adjoining that person's land, and any other owners or occupiers of land whom Council or an Authorised Officer considers appropriate prior to making a decision to grant a permit.

To complete the online heavy motor vehicle permit form you will be required to :

  1. Provide a valid email address.
  2. Provide relevant registered vehicle owner details if applicable.
  3. Once the information supplied has been verified, Council will issue an invoice by post to the postal address supplied.


The fee for a heavy motor vehicle permit is $231.10 which needs to be renewed annually.

To apply for a heavy motor vehicle, please click the button below:

Printable hardcopy Application form


Political advertising is not permitted on Hume City Council property including Council road reserves. Any political advertising signage found on Council property, including leased premises or Council road reserves will be removed.

If you are advertising political signage please refer to the following regulations.

Hume Planning Scheme requirements

Political advertising is not permitted on Council land or road reserves. The Hume Planning Scheme (HPS) outlines that a planning permit is not required on private property if political advertising meets the following criteria outlined in HPS 52.05-10:

  • A sign with an advertisement area not exceeding 5 square metres publicising a local educational, cultural, political, religious, social or recreational event not held for commercial purposes.
  • Only one sign may be displayed on the land, it must not be an animated or internally-illuminated sign and it must not be displayed longer than 14 days after the event is held or 3 months, whichever is sooner.
  • A sign publicising a local political event may include information about a candidate for an election.

Signage outside this criteria may require a planning permit which will be required before the signage is displayed. The above applies to private land only (approval of private land holders would be required).

Failure to comply with the above will result in a Planning Infringement Notice being issued to both the owner of the land and the candidate to the amount of between $908.70 and $1,817.40 per sign.

For further information please contact Council’s Statutory Planning Investigations Unit on 9205 2200

Building permit requirements

Many signs do require a Building Permit. The Building Act 1993, Section 16 and the Building Regulations 2018 require that a Building Permit is required for any sign that exceeds 1.0m in height if located within 3.0m of any street alignment (property) boundary of the allotment on which it is proposed to be erected.

If a sign is to be located or set back on an allotment a distance further than 3.0m from any street alignment (property) boundary, a Building Permit will be required if the sign exceeds 8.0m in height or if the sign has a display area exceeding 6m2.

Building Permits must be issued prior to the erection of a sign. The penalties for non-compliance are up to 500 penalty units ($90,870) in the case of an individual and 2500 penalty units ($454,350) in the case of a company.

For further information about the construction of signs, please contact Council’s Building Control Services Unit on 9205 2200

Signage within Council's road reserves

Any signage found to be situated on Council property will be removed and any political advertising signage on Council’s road reserves will be removed in accordance with the Road Management Act 2004 (Section 66) (1) (b).

Please note that under the Road Management Act 2004 (Section 66) (1) (b) The penalty is 3 penalty units ($545) noting that 10 penalty units is the maximum that can be awarded by the Court.

The Road Register lists all road within Hume City. 

For further information please contact Council’s Technical Services Department on 9205 2200

Signage within VicRoads road reserves

VicRoads is required to meet obligations with respect to road safety within the arterial road network. VicRoads should be contacted prior to any installation of any signage on the road reserve where VicRoads is the coordinating authority.

VicRoads have power under the Road Management Act 2004 to remove anything placed unlawfully without prior consent on the arterial road network.

See the Register of Public Roads within Hume with VicRoads as the coordinating road authority.

For further information regarding the VicRoads road reserves please contact the VicRoads on 13 11 70

A-boards, street stalls and leaflet distribution permits

Candidates are advised that you must apply for and be in receipt of any relevant permits to display any A-board, hold a street stall or distribute any handbills within Council road reserves (which includes footpaths).

Council’s General Local Law will apply and any advertising signage (including political signage) found placed on a road reserve or in a municipal place may attract a penalty of $200 per offence or a maximum that can be awarded by the Court of $2,000. 

COVID-19 compliance with restrictions

Candidates should refer to the Victorian Government Coronavirus website to ensure that any activities are in accordance with current COVID safe settings.



A permit is required to sell goods from the side of the road or municipal place. Traders operating a mobile food van, ice cream van, or selling other goods from the side of the road will need to obtain a permit. A statement of Trade from Streatrader must be obtained and provided with your application. 

You must complete the application and provide all relevant documentation in order for your application to be processed. An application fee applies, or you can pay an annual fee.

To complete the roadside trading/ice cream van permit application you will be required to:

  1. Fill out the application form
  2. Attach a current copy of your public liability noting Hume City Council as an interested party, StreatTrader Certificate and attach a map that clearly indicates the location of where you wish to trade (maximum of two locations).
  3. Once the information supplied has been verified, Council will issue an invoice by post to the postal address supplied.
  4. Application fee is non-refundable.

Permits can only be granted for Council-controlled roads or road related areas. No permits will be granted for any reserves, parks, lookouts or car parks. If you would like to trade on private property, you do not need a roadside trader permit but you may require a planning permit.

Many major roads are controlled by Vic Roads, and Council is unable to issue permits for those areas. Please check on this map to see if your preferred location is on a VicRoads road. If so, please direct your enquiry to VicRoads.

Council will take into consideration the following when assessing your application:

  • The requirements of Council's Health Department for the sale of food items. (If registered with another Council under the Food Act 1984, then that Registration Certificate will need to be produced. Otherwise it will be necessary to register with the Hume City Council Health Department. The van must meet the requirements of the Food Act 1984 and any Regulations in force pursuant to the Act).
  • Each van must be available for inspection by Council's Health Department (if applicable).
  • The days and times that itinerate trade is to be conducted.
  • The area in which the trade is proposed to be carried out, priority will be given to existing businesses of a similar nature.
  • The requirements of VicRoads.
  • The requirements of relevant Council Departments.
  • Access to toilet facilities.

Roadside trading and ice cream van permit application

Page 1 of 2