State Budget delivers Mickleham Road duplication
Published on 04 May 2022
Hume City Council has welcomed the State Government’s commitment to fund the duplication of Mickleham Road, which will bring traffic congestion relief to its growing population.
A $104 million commitment in the State Budget 2022-23 will be in addition to $109.5 million committed by the Federal Government in their most recent Federal Budget 2022-23, following Council’s long-term advocacy.
The project will see 1.6-kilometre duplication from Somerton Road and Dellamore Boulevard, creating a safer journey for the thousands of drivers who use the road every day. It will also deliver bus priority lanes at intersections, to help cut travel times.
Along with a commitment to Mickleham Road, Council has welcomed funding for a number of other initiatives, including:
- New schools to be constructed, which will open in 2024:
- Lockerbie Central Primary School
- Merrifield South Primary School
- Additional stages to:
- Aitken Hill Primary School
- Gaayip-Yagila Primary School
- Land acquisition for future schools
- Special school upgrades
- Broadmeadows Special Developmental School
- Hume Valley School
- New bus services
- A high -frequency weekday shuttle bus between the Donnybrook and Craigieburn Stations as well as upgrades to the Craigieburn Station Bus Interchange.
- New services for communities in Sunbury and Diggers Rest.
- $2.2 million in heritage protection:
- To maintain the land and buildings at Jacksons Hill, Sunbury, while the associated master plan and land divestment strategy are delivered.
- $9.7 million supporting our suburbs to recover and thrive: o To continue supporting our Suburban Revitalisation Boards in Boronia, Broadmeadows, Frankston, Lilydale, Melton, Noble Park, Reservoir and Tarneit.
See more information about the Victorian Government’s State Budget 2022-23.
Mayor of Hume City, Cr Carly Moore said:
“Hume City Council is very pleased to see significant State investment in the Mickleham Road upgrade, after calling for funding for this project over many years."
“By matching the Federal Government’s commitment to Mickleham Road in their recent Federal Budget, this funding will ensure the road’s duplication will help relieve traffic congestion for the fast-growing communities of Melbourne’s north.”
“We would like to acknowledge the efforts of our three local MPs – Ros Spence, Josh Bull and Frank McGuire – in supporting these positive outcomes for the Hume community.”
“While we can take a moment to reflect on this positive result for our City, we know that our advocacy efforts don’t stop here."
“With the State Election in a few months, Council will remain focused on achieving positive outcomes and advocating for future funding to support our growing community.'
“We have and will continue to call on the current State Government and 2022 State Election candidates from every political party to help build a better Hume.”