Keeping Multiple Animals

There is a limit to how many animals can be kept without a permit within residential properties.

A permit is required by any owner or occupier who:

  • has land of less than 4,000m2 in area
  • is situated in a residential area
  • wants to house more than the prescribed animals in accordance with Council’s General Local Law No.1 – 2013, clause 5.1.

If you live in a residential area and want to have more than the following, you will be required to apply for a permit:

  • Two dogs over three months old
  • Two cats over three months old
  • Five guinea pigs
  • Five rabbits
  • Five ferrets
  • Five head of poultry
  • Six pigeons (unless you are a member of a pigeon racing or similar club approved by Council, in which case the maximum allowed without a permit is 60)
  • 20 other caged birds.

Animals in a flat or a unit 

If you live in a flat or unit you need a permit if you want to have more than the following:

  • One dog over three months old
  • One cat over three months old, or
  • Five other caged birds.

Multiple Animal Permit Conditions:

  • Application must be completed and all supporting documents supplied before your application will be processed.
  • Written consent from the property owner must be obtained before the application will be processed.
  • When issued, the permit applies only to the animals nominated.
  • Where a person applies for a permit, they must ensure that dogs and cats listed on the permit application are desexed before a permit will be considered or granted unless the animal is registered with an applicable association or the animal cannot be desexed due to health reasons verified by a veterinary certificate.
  • Council will notify and consider the views of the owners or occupiers of land adjoining that person’s land, and any other owners or occupiers of land whom Council or an Authorised Officer considers appropriate prior to deciding whether to grant a permit.
  • In the instance Council receives an objection to your application; the applicant must submit a written response addressing concerns.
  • All animals that are subject to General Local Law No.1 – 2013, sub-clause 5.1.1, 5.1.2 or 5.1.3 must be housed in accordance with any applicable Victorian State Government Code of Practice that may exist relevant to the welfare and housing of the particular species of animal’s involved.
  • Permits are subject to the discretion of a Council Authorised Officer and in the event any concerns come to light, Authorised Officers may issue a Temporary Permit until issues are addressed and/or rectified.
  • The permit will be reviewed after the expiry date.
  • If no substantiated complaints have been received by Council, and there has been no breach of the permit conditions, a full permit will be issued.
  • Permits are subject to requirements under the General Local Law No.1 – 2013 and the Domestic Animal’s Act 1994, and all regulations made thereunder.

Multiple Animals Permit Conditions (birds/pigeons)

  • Cages are to be kept in a clean, inoffensive and sanitary condition.
  • Birds are not to cause a nuisance.
  • All feed to be kept in an air tight container so as not to attract rodents.
  • Persons keeping pigeons will not require a Multiple Animal Permit if a member of a pigeon racing or similar club approved by Council (proof of membership required).

Read Council’s conditions before applying for a permit. 

Apply for a Multiple Animal Annual Permit

The Application Process

1. Council receives your application and required documents.

2. An application fee invoice is generated for $62.00. Payment is required within 10 business days in order for your application to be processed.

3. Once your payment has been processed:

  • an audit is carried out by Council officers to ensure the property is suitable to house more than the normal amount of animals.
  • Council sends a letter to adjoining neighbours asking if they have any objections to the application.
  • Council seeks consent from the property owner (if you are a tenant).

4. Fourteen days is then allocated for any submissions to be received and considered. Council will allow the applicant an opportunity to address and respond in writing to any concerns raised within seven days.

Failing to assist Council in the application process may result in the application being revoked and any excess animals kept on property will need to be removed.

Hardcopy application form

If you are having trouble with the online permit application, you can download a Multiple-Animal-Annual-Permit-Application-2021-2022.pdf(PDF, 348KB) .

You must complete the application and provide all relevant documentation in order for your application to be processed. You can lodge your hardcopy form using the following options:

In person:

Broadmeadows: 1079 Pascoe Vale Road Broadmeadows 3047

Sunbury: 40 Macedon Street Sunbury 3429

Craigieburn: 75-95 Central Park Avenue Craigieburn 3064. Office hours are Monday to Friday 8.00am-5.00pm

By post: Hume City Council, PO Box 119, Dallas 3047

By email:

All dogs and cats over three months of age must be registered.

In order for a Multiple Animal Annual permit application to be considered, all dogs and cats listed on the permit must be desexed.


You may be exempt from desexing pets if you are a member of an applicable animal association or have a certificate from a vet stating that the animal cannot be desexed for health reasons. Victorian applicable organisations are:

Members of applicable organisations are eligible to receive a reduced council registration fee for their pet's annual registration.