From 11:59pm Friday 26 February 2021, face masks are only required in certain scenarios. You must carry a face mask with you at all times. Face masks are currently mandatory in:
- Shopping centres, stores inside shopping centres, department stores, electronics stores, furniture stores, hardware stores or supermarkets.
- Public transport or when travelling in ride shares, taxis or tour vehicles.
- Hospitals and aged care facilities.
You must also wear a mask when you can't physically distance from others.
There are a number of lawful excuses for not wearing a face mask. A face mask with three layers is the option recommended by the Chief Health Officer, as it provides the best protection for you and others.
Make sure you're wearing your mask correctly by following the World Health Organisation's tips:
- Wash your hands before touching the mask
- Adjust the mask to your face without leaving gaps on the sides - it should cover your nose, mouth and chin
- Avoid touching the mask
- Wash your hands before removing the mask
- Remove the mask using the straps
- Store the mask in a clean plastic resealable bag
- Wash your hands after removing the mask
- Wash your reusable mask in hot soapy water after each use
- Put disposable masks in your garbage bin - they are not recyclable.