Food Businesses

New Food Businesses (Excluding Temporary and Mobile Food Businesses)

Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) ensure that all new food establishments are constructed to comply with the required standards. The steps involved in starting a new business have been outlined below including links to construction guidelines and application forms.

• Step 1. Approval from other relevant authorities (Building/Town Planning. Call 9205 2200
• Step 2. Submission of an Application
• Step 3. Contact officers for progress and final inspections
• Step 4. Submit Food Safety Supervisor Certificate
• Step 5. Submit application for registration form with relevant payment
• Step 6. Registration Certificate issued
• Step 7. Operate Business and implement Food Safety Program and/or required records 

NB: Application form for Registration will be provided to the owner once final approval has been granted.

So you want to run a food business?

If you are thinking about buying an existing food business or starting your own, there are some important things you should know about. To protect Victorians, all food businesses must comply with our food laws, including the Food Act.


   • Application Form - Food Act Premise.pdf

 Running a food business information booklet -  Starting a Food Business.pdf  

Visit Department of Health - Food Business Information for further details.

Buying an existing food business (transfer)

When purchasing a food business, Council's Public Health Unit needs to be informed of the change. A transfer inspection of the premises can be requested prior to settlement. Transfer inspections are not mandatory but recommended as this will give prospective new proprietors valuable information of the standard of the premises and requirements, in order to become compliant with the relevant acts and regulations. The inspection and report will incur a fee. Due to privacy laws a release form from the current proprietor is also required prior to inspection reports being issued. Prior to Transfer of Registration being approved a copy of the Food Safety Program and relevant training is also required to be submitted within 14 days from the date of transfer.


   • Request for a Health Department Inspection Form.pdf

   • Food Act Transfer Form.pdf


Alterations to a food business

If you are planning on altering the layout of your food business or changing the type of food to be sold within your business then you may be required to submit additional plans for approval. Contact our Environmental Health Officer on 9205 2200 for further information. 

Food Safety Program

Amendments to the Victorian Food Act 1984 now require food premises registered in Victoria to implement Food Safety Programs. A food safety program requires that a food business systematically examines its operations step by step from purchase of raw materials to the sale or service of food to the customer. The program identifies all processes with potential to cause harm to customers and ensure that sufficient controls are in place to minimize risks.

Food businesses may choose to develop their own independent Food Safety Program which will have to be audited by a certified Food Safety Auditor. Alternatively, food businesses can elect to use a standard Food Safety Program Template that has been registered with the Department of Human Services.

Programs are available in other languages.

Copies of the templates can be found through the Department of Health (DH) website.

Food Safety Supervisor

Every food business must provide to their local Council written details of the name and the qualifications of their food safety supervisor. If the nominated food safety supervisor leaves the business the local council must be informed of the replacement food safety supervisor.

A food safety supervisor is a person who:

  • has a statement of attainment that shows the required competencies from a Registered Training Organisation, (List of competencies)
  • has the ability to supervise food handling in the food premises
  • has the authority to supervise food handlers and ensure that food handling is done safely, and
  • will ensure that the food handlers know how to handle food safely.

 A food safety supervisor can be the proprietor, an employee or a person external to the business, providing they are able meet the requirements of a food safety supervisor prescribed in the Food Act 1984.

Food Recall
For information about what a food recall involves and for the latest recalls in Australia, please visit to the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website.

Temporary & Mobile Food Premises – Streatrader


Information for community groups and businesses

In Victoria, all food premises are required to have a Food Act registration from their council before selling food. This includes fixed premises, such as cafes and restaurants – but also temporary and mobile food premises such as a food van or a market stall.

What is a temporary food premises?
A temporary food premises is defined by the Food Act 1984 as a structure that is not permanently fixed to a site. This includes things such as a tent, a stall or a marquee. Common examples include market stalls or sausage sizzle stalls.

This also includes the temporary use of a kitchen not owned or leased by the food business. So for example, if you are cooking cakes out of a hired kitchen to sell later, you need to register your use of this kitchen as a temporary food premises.

What is a mobile food premises?
The Food Act defines mobile food premises as a food premises that is a vehicle. This can include food vans, caravans or trucks, coffee vans, trailers and even bicycles.
How do we register our temporary or mobile food premises?

Business operators or community groups wishing to obtain a registration for their temporary or mobile food premises from their local council apply through a website called Streatrader.

Streatrader  is a website developed by the Department of Health and Human Services as a resource to facilitate the online registration process for businesses and community groups across Victoria.

To begin your business or community group’s application for registration, all you need to do is visit the website, create an account and log on. Once you have logged on you will have access to the online application form which will then be lodged to your local council for review. Please see the Streatrader website for a step by step guide through the application process.
Once your council have approved your registration, you can trade anywhere in Victoria without having to register with another council.

However, each time before you trade you need to log in to your Streatrader account and complete a short form called a Statement of Trade (SOT), which will ask when and where you will be trading from your temporary or mobile food premises. Your SOT will then go to the relevant council to notify them of your activities in the area.

For example, your community group may have a sausage sizzle stall registered with your council. For each sausage sizzle your group does you will need to log on and provide the date and location of where you will be setting up your premises.

Please see the Streatrader website for more detailed information, user guides, free resources and brochures that may assist you in the registration process.

If you have any further queries please contact the Council’s environmental health unit on 9205 2200.

  1. Apply online – via Streatrader link
  2. Submission of relevant supporting documents as required
  3. Approval and registration with relevant payment
  4. Registration Certificate issued
  5. Operate Business and implement Food Safety Program
  6. Submit relevant Statements of Trade as required

Food News

The Public Health Unit also produces a quarterly newsletter called Hume Food News, which is delivered to all food businesses.

Current edition: Hume Food News Summer 2016/2017

  Summer Hum Food Cover 2016.JPG

Past editions:

Hume Food News Spring 2016  

Hume Food News Winter 2016 

Hume Food News Autumn 2016 

Hume Food News Spring 2015

Updated : 11:02 AM, 6 February 2017

What's Near Me?