Storms & Severe Weather

Heavy rain and high winds can result in flooding and dangerous debris. 

During extreme weather, keep an eye on the State Emergency Services website and Vic Emergency website for warning updates. You can also like Hume Emergency Information on or Hume City Council on Facebook for localised information.

Call 132 500 from anywhere in Victoria for flood and storm emergency. For life-threatening emergencies call Triple Zero (000). 

Potential Flood Areas In Hume

Below is the list of areas that have been identified by SES as potential flood areas during major storms. Please avoid these areas if they are flooded and use alternative routes:

  1. Barry Road Bridge over Merlynston Creek culvert, Coolaroo – corner Barry Rd/Maffra Street
  2. Albert Road culvert crossing across the waterway, Sunbury -  near Spain Drive
  3. Wildwood Road single lane bridge over Deep creek, Wildwood (Melway ref 384 A12)
  4. Racecourse Road bridge over Blind Creek, Sunbury – south of Forde Court
  5. Settlement Road single lane bridge, Clarkefield – near the Macedon Ranges Shire border
  6. Malcolm Street single lane bridge over Kalkallo Creek, Kalkallo

If you or a resident experience flooding at home or a roof leakage, please call SES on 132 500. For any other emergencies, please call Triple Zero ‘000’.

For updates on the weather tune into your 3AW, ABC, your local radio and social media.

You can also get up to date information by downloading the VicEmergency App via your smart phone App store or alternative go to the VicEmegency site

What to do before the storm

  • Check that loose items such as outdoor settings, umbrellas and trampolines are safely secured.
  • If it is safe to do so, check gutters, downpipes and drains are not blocked.
  • Park your car undercover and away from trees.
  • Be alert to the dangers of thunderstorm asthma. Always carry your blue reliever with you. Know the signs of worsening asthma and the asthma first aid steps. If you know you are sensitive to pollen, you may wish to stay inside on high pollen and windy days, and during and after a thunderstorm. However, this may not always help and you must remain alert to the signs your asthma is worsening. For more information visit the Better Health Channel.

What to do during the storm

  • Stay indoors and away from windows.
  • If outdoors, shelter away from drains, gutters, creeks and waterways.
  • Be prepared for power outages.
  • Floodwater is dangerous – never drive, walk or ride through floodwater.
  • Floodwater is toxic – never play or swim in floodwater.

What to do after the storm

  • Check your home and property for damage.
  • Keep clear of damaged buildings, power lines and trees.
  • Be aware of road hazards such as floodwater, debris and damaged roads or bridges.
  • Do not drive through affected areas unless it is necessary.  


Where can I dispose of sandbags?

Sandbags can be disposed of FREE OF CHARGE at the following locations:

Bolinda Road Resource Recovery Centre
Melway 7 H8
Phone: 9359 3813

Riddell Road Waste and Recycling Transfer Station and Landfill
Melway 361 D8
Phone: 9744 2974

For more information:

The SES StormSafe website features comprehensive information on how to prepare and respond during an emergency. The SES also provides preparedness information in 34 languages other than English.

Storms and other emergencies can strike without warning. The Australian Red Cross has developed the REDiPlan process, which people can use to develop household emergency plans.


If you or your family have been affected by severe weather and require support:




Emergency assistance

If the situation is life threatening dial 000

If you require emergency assistance for storm damage – leaking roofs, fallen trees etc. contact SES

SES: 132 500


Sewerage Overflows

Take precautions and practice good hygiene.

To get help:

  • Firstly contact your water provider
  • Department of Health and Human Services – Water Program (1300 761 874)
  • SES for immediate emergency assistance
  • Council will assist with inspections if a complaint is received about a neighbouring property.


Western Water (Sunbury): 1300 650 422

Yarra Valley Water:132 762

DHHS: 1300 761 874

Emergency Relief and Recovery Information

Contact the Victorian Emergency Recovery Information Line or visit their website.

1300 799 232

Insurance considerations


If you have experienced damage:

  • Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to check what your policy includes or excludes, and seek guidance on the claims process.


  • You can start cleaning up, but first take pictures or videos of damage to the property and possessions as evidence for your claim.

Contact your insurance company

Financial Assistance

Please note that Council does not issue cash grants to any person affected by the emergency. The Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS) manage the distribution of Emergency Relief grants.


Note: there is an eligibility criteria in relation to emergency relief grants and affected residents will have to meet with a DHHS representative

VicEmergency hotline:

1800 226 226


North West Region DHHS:

1300 664 977

Personal Support

  • LifeLine–- A 24-hour telephone service that offers confidential support and advice to help you deal with stress and personal challenges.

131 114

  • BeyondblueAn information line that offers expert information on depression; how to recognise the signs of depression, how to get help, how to help someone else and how to stay well.

1300 224 636

  • MenslineA telephone support, information and referral service, helping men deal with their relationship problems.

1300 789 978


  • 1800 RESPECT
    Counselling delivered by qualified, experienced professionals’ 24-hours a day, seven days a week.

1800 737 732

Damaged bins and waste collection

Council waste collection remains the same.

If you have had a damaged or lost bin, please contact Council.

9205 2200


Updated : 12:39 PM, 8 October 2018

What's Near Me?