Rates Payments

Hume City Council rates are charged at the start of each financial year and need to be paid in four or nine instalments.

An annual rates notice is sent out to ratepayers in August each year. This will show how much your total rates bill is for the year and the amount you need to pay in instalments, including the first instalment due by 2 October.

Ratepayers will be issued an instalment notice at least 14 days prior to the instalment being due for the remaining three instalments.

When do my quarterly instalments need to be paid by?

  • 1st instalment: 2 October 2017
  • 2nd instalment: 30 November 2017
  • 3rd instalment: 28 February 2018
  • 4th instalment: 31 May 2018

How do I pay my rates?

You can pay your rates in a number of ways, which are detailed on the back of your rates notice.

How to pay online:

Other payment methods:

Note: if you are paying by Direct Debit, payments can only be made from savings or cheque accounts, and only when previous rate instalments have been fully paid. Direct debit payment can be made in four or nine instalments. Applications close five days prior to each due date.

*If you are paying by telephone, payments can be made using your credit card by calling 13 18 16 (Australia Post).

*If you are paying by mail it is important to detach the bottom portion of your rate notice and forward it along with your cheque or money order made out to Hume City Council.

What happens if I pay my rates late?

It is important that your rates are paid by the due date.

If an instalment is not paid on or before the due date you may be charged interest on the overdue amounts.

In 2017/18, this interest rate is set at 10% under the Penalty Interest Rate Act 1983.

I am a pensioner, do I get a discount on my rates?

Ratepayers who hold a 'Pensioner Concession Card' issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans' Affairs may receive a concession on their rates, if the address on the rate notice and pension card is the same, or if a rebate has not been granted on another property. An application for concession must be completed and the pension card must be produced for confirmation and photocopied. (Health Care Cards do not apply).

All applications have to be verified through CentreLink prior to the rebate being applied.

Council also provides its own pensioner rebate of $35 in addition to the Victorian Government rebate.

I hold a gold card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs, do I get a discount on my rates?

Ratepayers who hold a gold card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs which specifies 'War Widow' or 'TPI' are also entitled to a rate rebate on their principal place of residence.

What happens if I am having difficulty paying my rates?

If you are having difficulties paying your rates please contact Council to discuss alternative payment arrangements.

For specific information about your rates or other general rates enquiries, please call Council's Customer Service Centre on 9205 2200 between 8.00am and 5pm, Monday to Friday, or email contactus@hume.vic.gov.au

Updated : 10:55 AM, 22 August 2017

Related Links

What's Near Me?