Community Transport & Bus Hire

We provide a Community Transport Service (bus) which is available to eligible frail, elderly and people with disabilities.

Am I eligible?

If you are unable to access public or private transport and have been assessed as Home and Community Care (HACC) eligible, you can receive transport from your home to local shops, recreational outings or senior citizens clubs.

Can drivers assist passengers to get on and off the bus?
Yes, as needed.

Is wheelchair access available?

Our Home and Community Support Services provide a range of services to eligible residents who are frail older people, people with disabilities and carers.
For further information, or to find out your eligibility, contact the Aged and Disability Services Intake Officer on 9205 2839.

Community Bus Hire

Council is committed to ensuring the safety of the community and in response to changes in the bus safety act, all user groups of Council’s community busses must be Registered Operators with Transport Safety Victoria to access Councils community buses. Information provided by Transport Safety Victoria can be found at Transport Safety.

Please contact Transport Safety Victoria on 9655 6545 or email Info at Transport Safety to commence the registration process. Once registered, you must provide a copy of the registration to Council for our records. Council requires all community groups to be Registered Operators with Transport Safety Victoria.

Buses are available for community hire and are located at Broadmeadows and Sunbury.
If you wish to hire a community bus, contact us on 9205 2200 or use the Bus Booking Enquiry Form

Who can hire the bus?

The person hiring the bus must live within the City of Hume and is a registered Community Group .

Do I need a special driver's license to operate a community bus?

A full driver's license is required to drive a community bus.

Is there a fee to hire a community bus?

Yes. A fee for the hire of the bus and a bond of $ 250.00 is charged. The bond for hire of the bus will be held for three months to ensure that any City Link use or other infringements can be addressed prior to the bond being returned.

Does the bus come with a City Link pass?

Yes the bus comes with a City link pass. The fee will be deducted from the bond.

Where can I take the bus?

Vehicles are not permitted to be taken out of Victoria or into the snow fields during winter. Buses are not equipped for this purpose. 

What am I required to do when returning the bus?

The bus must be returned with a full tank of fuel and must be clean. Fees will apply for returning the bus without a full tank of fuel, or in a dirty condition.

What happens if the bus is damaged?

Should the vehicle become damaged while in your possession, you will be required to complete insurance documentation as provided by council. Your bond will not be returned until the documentation is complete.

How many people will fit on the bus?

The bus seats 11 passengers, including the driver.

Updated : 4:34 PM, 27 July 2017

Related Links

What's Near Me?