Garbage Collection

Garbage service banner


Council provides a weekly collection of household garbage to all residential properties in Hume.

Residents have the choice of an 80 litre (small) or 140 litre (large) bin for their garbage. 

When will my bin be collected?

Garbage is collected weekly with your recycling collected fortnightly. If you have an organics bin it will be collected on the alternate fortnight to your recycling bin.

There are three ways to check your bin day:

Waste Calendar 2017 - Hard copy Request Form
Please fill out your details if you would like to receive a hard copy of the 2017 Waste Calendar to your home.
Type the characters you see in the picture below
Type the letters in the image or Type the first letter of the words spoken in the audio.


The 2017 Waste and Recycling Services Calendar will be available in hard copy format from late December 2016 for residents who have requested a copy.

What items can I put in my garbage bin?

  • Plastic bags, soft plastic packets and wrappers
  • Old clothing, shoes and linen
  • Broken crockery, window glass, mirrors and light globes
  • Nappies
  • General household rubbish, including food scraps and animal waste
  • Polystyrene and foam
  • Broken toys

Placing your bin out for collection

Bins should be placed with the wheels facing away from the road and within one metre of the kerb before 5.30am on the day of collection.

Please allow at least one metre between your bin and any other objects such as parked cars, light poles, trees and other bins.

If you live in a court, please do not place bins at the end of the court. Our drivers will place yellow dots in the correct area to place your bin for safe collection by our trucks. If you have any questions or need assistance with bin placement please contact our Customer Service team on 9205 2200.

What do I do if my bin was not collected?

If your bin is missed on the scheduled collection day please contact Council's Customer Service team on 9205 2200.

Our trucks will not return to collect bins that were not placed out in time. Bins must be placed out before 5.30am on the day of collection or the night before.

Public Holidays

If your bin is due to be collected on ANZAC Day, Good Friday, Christmas Day or New Years Day it will be collected the following day.

If you have any questions regarding how public holidays will affect your waste collection please contact our Customer Service team on 9205 2200.

Stolen or damaged bins

To report a damaged bin, contact Council's Customer Service team on on 9205 2200. Council will replace or repair your bin if it is damaged.

If your bin has been stolen you will need to complete a Statutory Declaration and return it to Council so we can arrange a new bin. Statutory Declarations need to be signed by one of the following people: Justice of the Peace, Pharmacist, Police officer, Court registrar, Bank manager, Medical practitioner or Dentist.

I've moved house and need bins

If you are the owner of the new property, please complete the waste services request form and return it to Council by email to or in person at one of our Customer Service Centres.

If you are renting, please contact the owner of your property who is required to organise your waste collection services through Council.

I'm a business, can I get a Council bin?

Businesses can apply for a Council waste service by completing a Commercial Waste Assessment form .

Businesses can access the same waste service as residents, a 140L garbage bin collected weekly and a 240L recycling bin collected fortnightly. Bins must be used for domestic type waste only. Waste of an industrial or commercial nature can damage the inside mechanics of the truck and could result in your service being suspended or cancelled.

Choosing a smaller or larger bin

If you would like to change your bin to a smaller size, you will be eligible to a $18 refund on your rates.

Council does not offer larger garbage bins. If you are a large family (5 or more people) you may be able to upgrade your recycling bin size for free.

Residents with a medical condition that requires additional bin space may be entitled to an additional garbage or recycling bin for free upon proof of condition from your doctor.

For further information on how to obtain apply for a large family concession and whether you are eligible for the free upgrade please contact us on 9205 2200.

Can I get an extra bin?

To request an additional bin, please complete the waste services request form and return it to Council by email to or in person at one of our Customer Service Centres.

Additional bins incur the following charges:


Bin Type


2015/16 Annual Upgrade Charge

Additional bins (residential)


Extra 80L bin



Extra 140L bin


Additional bins (commercial)


Extra 140 litre

$138.00 including GST*


Large household bin audit

Hume City Council is in the process of auditing large households of five or more people that currently have 240L garbage bins.

For households that no longer have five or more people, your garbage bin size will be reduced to Council’s standard 140L bin size.

Hume City Council is committed to reducing waste and increasing recycling in our community. Households are encouraged to reduce their waste and only place items in their waste bin if they cannot be reused, recycled or composted.

Large Household Bin Renewal Form



Updated : 4:59 PM, 30 June 2017

Related Links

What's Near Me?