Recycling Service

Recycling Service


We provide a fortnightly collection of recyclable materials to all Hume residents.

A 240L dark green bin is provided for recycling. Council is currently in the process of updating the colour of our recycling bin lids to yellow, this will make it easier to identify the recycling bin. Recycling bins may now have dark green or yellow lids, please place only the recyclable items listed below in the recycling bin.

Find your bin day

Want to know your bin day or when your recycling will be collected?

There are three ways to check your bin day:

Note: Waste collection services do not operate on ANZAC Day, Good Friday, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. If your waste collection day falls on these days, your bin will be collected on the following day.

What can I put in my Recycling Bin?

Please place ONLY these items in your recycling bin:

  • Steel and aluminium cans and foil
    trays, including aerosol cans
Steel and aluminium cans


  • Paper and cardboard
    (flatten cardboard to allow
    more room in your bin)
Paper and cardboard


  • Milk and juice cartons
Milk and juice cartons


  • Glass bottles and jars
Glass bottles and jars


  • Plastic bottles and containers
    (hard plastic containers)
Plastic bottles and containers

Do not put recycling in plastic bags, recycling in
plastic bags cannot be recycled and may be sent
straight to landfill. Make your effort count, place
items loosely in the recycling bin.

Place in bin loosely

Please note that we have not referred to the numbers of plastic accepted for recycling due to many non recyclable plastics also having numbers printed on them. As a guide, all plastic containers harder than a biscuit tray are recyclable. Plastic bags and soft plastics such as chip packets cannot be recycled in your kerbside recycling bin even if they have a number printed on them.

The following materials are not acceptable for recycling in your kerbside recycling bin:

  • Plastic bags
  • Polystyrene
  • Window glass, drinking glass and light globes
  • Garbage and food waste

Contamination Notices


Contamination Notices

Council operates a bin inspection program to reduce incorrect items (contaminants) in recycling bins.

Placing incorrect items in your recycling bin causes health and safety issues at the sorting facility, slows down the sorting process and can cause entire truckloads of recyclables to be sent to landfill (tip). If your bin has incorrect items a sticker will be placed on the bin to notify you. If you get a contamination sticker please check to see what items should be removed.

Please remove these items before calling us on 9205 2200 to arrange for your recycling to be collected. Residents who continue to place the wrong items in their recycling bins may have their recycling service cancelled and may receive a fine
(infringement notice). 

How do I arrange a new Recycling Service or change my current service?

Additional recycling bins are available for an annual fee of $63.00 per year. If you are currently renting in Hume, your property owner will need to approve any changes to the waste services.

If you have more than five people living at your house or have a medical condition you may be entitled to a free additional or larger recycling bin.

To begin a new waste service or make a change to your waste service, please complete the waste services request form waste services request form and return it to us by email or drop it into one of our Customer Service Centres.

If you would prefer the Waste Service Request form to be mailed to you contact us on 9205 2200.

Can I share my Recycling Bin?

If you live in a unit or flat you may like to share a bin with your neighbours to minimise space. For further information on this option contact us on 9205 2200.

Missed Collections

If your bin is missed on the scheduled collection day please call us on 9205 2200.

Trucks will not return to collect bins that were not placed out in time. Bins must be placed out before 5.30am on the day of collection or the night before.

Stolen or Damaged Bins

To report a damaged bin, call us on 9205 2200. Council will replace or repair your bin if it is damaged. 

If your bin has been stolen you will need to complete a Statutory Declaration and return it to Council so we can arrange a new bin. Statutory Declarations need to be signed by one of the following people: Justice of the Peace, Pharmacist, Police officer, Court registrar, Bank manager, Medical practitioner or Dentist.

Updated : 5:02 PM, 30 June 2017

Related Links

What's Near Me?