The redevelopment of the Broadmeadows Train Station and its immediate surrounds will increase the functionality of the transport interchange in a way that improves safety, amenity and sense of place and encourages further investment.
The Victorian Government have committed $1 million towards cosmetic upgrades. This forms a small part of works previously agreed to by the Victorian Government and Council which would deliver:
- an effective multi-modal interchange for train, bus, taxi, vehicle, bicycles and pedestrians.
- improved connection between the east and west sides of the Broadmeadows Metro Activity Centre (MAC) through an overhead concourse.
- enhanced viability and facilitate redevelopment of under-utilised government and private land holdings to facilitate commercial development.
- space to accommodate future grade-separated connection across the rail corridor.
- improved passenger circulation and distribution, amenity, access and safety
- improved disability compliant access to platforms.
Ultimately, the community need a redeveloped station precinct, not upgrades.
Why is it important?
An outdated facility with poor accessibility and an unkempt appearance negatively impacts perceptions of safety, is inconsistent with encouraging contra flow to Broadmeadows and does not support the Plan Melbourne objective of a 20-Minute Neighbourhood.
Additionally it negatively impacts on people’s perception of Broadmeadows and is not in keeping with the development of new train stations such as Epping and Williams Landing - all of which provide a warm and inviting environment to encourage safe public transport usage throughout Melbourne.
Broadmeadows Train Station was recently ranked as Victoria’s fifth worst train station in RACV’s On Track Survey and is the only station within a Metropolitan Activity Centre ranked in the 10 worst stations list. The station continues to drop in ranking despite minor upgrades made in recent years.
The support we need
We need the Victorian Government to commit to a review and refresh of the master plan documentation for the Broadmeadows Station Precinct.
We seek a commitment to funding for the total redevelopment of the Broadmeadows Station Precinct and the confirmation of timing for works to commence.
How can you help?
Tell us what you think by filling out the Broadmeadows Train Station survey.