Native Animals

Hume’s location on the urban fringe means it is not uncommon to see native animals in our everyday life. Native animals are an important part of Hume’s natural heritage and are vital to the healthy function of our ecosystems.

Species such as snakes or magpies can be seen as intruding and a danger to us and our property. It is important however to remember that we need to coexist with wildlife. Under the Wildlife Act 1975, it is illegal to kill, harm or interfere with native animals without a permit.

View our fact sheets to help you learn about what to do if you spot a kangaroo, magpie, snake, possum, corella, cockatoo or fruit bat.

Hume is home to the Eastern Brown Snake, Red-bellied Black Snake and the Eastern Tiger Snake. Snakes become active in spring through to autumn, and will often seek warm places to sunbake, particularly along waterways, in parks and reserves, and sometimes in backyards with dense shrubs, tree hollows and long grass.

Staying safe around snakes

When walking in known snake areas, wear long pants or clothing, covered shoes and stay on paths.

What to do if you see a snake in a public area or your property

  • Stay calm, do NOT panic. If you stand still the snake is not likely to hurt you
  • Do NOT approach or attempt to catch or kill the snake
  • When safe to do so calmly move away from the snake to a safe distance and keep it under observation
  • Keep children, pets and others away from the area containing the snake

While snake bites are rare, they do pose a serious health risk if the species is venomous. If you have been bitten by a snake call 000 immediately for emergency assistance and advice over the phone while an Ambulance is dispatched. If someone has been bitten by a snake administer First Aid when safe to do so.

Snakes can be a problem for your pets, but usually only if the pet attacks first. Anti-venom is available from vets if pets do get bitten.

Snake relocation service

Throughout the year, Council engages a professional snake catcher to relocate snakes found on Council maintained land  to suitable habitat nearby. Contact Customer Service on 9205 2200 to report a snake on Council land.



Report a wildlife emergency to Wildlife Victoria

Help Injured Wildlife

  • The Help for Injured Wildlife Tool has been developed by the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning and will help you locate and contact the closest relevant wildlife carers and rehabilitation organisations to assist injured native wildlife in Victoria. 

Go to the Yellow Pages for information on wildlife carers, handlers and rescue.

Creating Growling Grass Frog Habitat

Download the fact sheet about farm dam restoration for the Growling Grassfrog.(PDF, 264KB)


The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning have some great resources, including:

For more information contact Council's Sustainable Environment Department on 9205 2200.