The Audit and Risk Committee assists Council in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities including financial management, occupational health and safety, risk, privacy and governance. The Audit and Risk Committee reviews the year-end reporting process, the system of internal control, management of financial risks and the internal and external audit process. The Committee carries out its work bearing in mind Council's desire to operate in an ethical environment with good corporate governance practices.
Information on procedures for the selection and appointment of the Audit and Risk Committee
Independent members (3) of the Audit and Risk Committee are appointed for a fixed term of up to four years and are eligible for reappointment by Council to a maximum of eight years. At the expiry of a term, suitably qualified external applications with experience in financial management, risk management, auditing, local government or other relevant disciplines are sought. Applications are reviewed and shortlisted, with interviews conducted by a panel of Audit and Risk Committee members and senior Council officers. Councillor members are appointed at Council’s annual statutory meeting.
Information on procedure for selecting an Internal Audit Services provider
Council appoints its internal auditor through a public tender process. Applications are reviewed and shortlisted, with interviews conducted by a panel of Audit and Risk Committee members and senior Council officers. Hume City Council’s internal auditor reports to the Audit and Risk Committee and attends each Committee meeting. Council appointed BDO as its internal audit services provider. This contract will expire on 30 June 2021.
Council’s Audit and Risk Committee have scheduled meetings for the following dates for 2020
- Friday 28 February 2020
- Friday 5 June 2020
- Friday 28 August 2020
- Friday 4 December 2020
Audit and Risk Committee Members
Independent Member of Hume City Council Audit and Risk Committee, May 2012 – April 2015
Independent Chair of the Hume City Council Audit and Risk Committee, April 2015 – present
Claire has held executive roles with Colonial Mutual, The Over 50’s Investment Group, Australian Unity, AXA Asia Pacific Holdings, Bonlac Foods and Hastings Funds Management.
The roles held by Claire at these organisations included Corporate Solicitor, Commercial and Corporate Legal Counsel, Executive Director, Compliance Manager, Head of Governance/Risk and Company Secretary. Claire has extensive board experience, with directorships and committee memberships held at several State-owned and private sector organisations.
Other professional experience:
- Six years’ experience as an independent member of the City of Melbourne Audit Committee
- Over 20 years’ boardroom experience in infrastructure and utility businesses, and superannuation and funds management businesses
- Chair of audit, finance, risk and remuneration committees
- 30 years’ commercial and corporate legal experience in construction, insurance and funds management
- Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and Governance Institute of Australia
- Bachelor Degree in Law
- Graduate Diploma of Company Secretarial Practise
- Company Directors Course (Australian Institute of Company Directors)
- Master of Business Administration (Executive)
- Graduate Diploma of Applied Corporate Governance
Independent Member of Hume City Council Audit and Risk Committee, April 2015 – present
David has over 40 years’ experience in the auditing profession including nearly 30 years’ as an audit partner of chartered accountancy firms. He brings a wealth of financial reporting, assurance and accounting knowledge to the role of independent member of the Hume’s Audit and Risk Committee.
David performed audits in the Victorian Public Sector as agent of the Auditor General Victoria and has a thorough understanding of the relevant legislative requirements.
Other professional experience:
- Audit Partner – HLB Mann Judd, 2004 – 2015
- Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee of the Victoria Electoral Commission 2017 - present
- Board Member and Chair of the Finance and Audit Committee – Cohealth Limited, 2014 – present
- Past Chair of the Finance and Audit Committee of Victoria Institute of Teaching, 2008 – 2018
- Past Member of the International Committee of Red Cross, 2008 – 2016
- Chair of the Board of Doutta Galla Community Health and Chair of the Finance and Audit Committee, 2012 – 2014
- Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia
- Fellow CPA Australia
- Graduate Company Directors course (Australian Institute of Company Directors)
(CIA, CPA, CA, CISA, CGEIT, MACS, CISM)
Independent Member of Hume City Council Audit and Risk Committee, April 2020 – present.
Shannon Buckley is an experienced audit and risk management professional with over 20+ years of audit, risk management and operational experience. He specialises in operational, IT and project audits.
He has 20 years of risk management and audit (external and internal audit) with experience in large multi-national organisations including Deakin, Telstra, National Australia Bank, Victorian Public Sector and Bupa Asia Pacific. His operational experience includes business process re-engineering and project management and delivery. He is a trained as a Six Sigma Black Belt.
He is author of numerous articles and has presented at a number of conferences on issues ranging from cybersecurity, risk culture and report writing. He is also an educator teaching at Post Graduate level. Shannon also sits on the Audit and Risk Committees of the City of Bendigo and Maryborough District Health Services.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Practicing Accounting (CPA)
- Certified Information System Auditor (CISA)
- Certified in Governance of IT (CGEIT)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) and Certified Fraud Examiner.
Cr Karen Sherry and Cr Carly Moore
Audit and Risk Committee Charter(PDF, 156KB)
Audit and Risk Committee Business Undertaken 2019-2020(PDF, 132KB)
Audit and Risk Committee Work Program for 2020-2021(PDF, 174KB)
Audit and Risk Committees - A Guide to Good Practice for Local Government(PDF, 1MB)