Community Bus Hire
Council offers affordable bus hire for local not-for-profit community organisations.
If you are a local non-profit community organisation, you can hire any of our 11, 12 and 19-seater buses. These can be used for activities and programs that directly benefit Hume City Council community.
Buses are available with a wheelchair hoist.
Who can hire a Community Bus?
To be eligible to hire a bus, an organisation must:
- be an incorporated, not-for-profit organisation operating in Hume
- be registered as a bus operator with Transport Safety Victoria
- nominate a driver with a full Victorian drivers’ licence who is over 21 years of age
- nominated driver must hold an indorsed licence to drive the 19-seater bus
- have its own public liability insurance policy.
Buses are hired out based on the needs of priority groups. Buses are not available for personal use, including social and recreational activities for private parties.
Conditions of use
- Community Buses must only be used in the Melbourne metropolitan area.
- You are responsible for hire and fuel costs and need to return the bus to Council on time, with a full tank of fuel and cleaned.
- Council is committed to ensuring the safety of the community and requires all bus operators to be registered and to operate a bus service subject to conditions under the Bus Safety Act 2009 and Bus Safety Regulations 2010. All groups must be registered with Transport Safety Victoria prior to using a community bus. The Transport Safety Victoria website has more information on the safety obligations of registered bus operators and how to apply.
Community Bus Hire Fees
|Self-driven community groups
|Fire rate plus petrol (per 24 hours)
|Fire rate per day (7am-midnight)
|Weekend (Friday 5pm-Sunday midnight)
|Penalty for unclean vehicle
|Penalty for late return of vehicle
||Extra day hire
Further charges may apply if a bus is returned dirty, late or without fuel, and for late cancellation or failing to pick up the bus.
Learn more about bus availability by submitting an enquiry.
Enquire about availability
- Council will then contact you to discuss your booking request.
- Once Council accepts your booking, an invoice will be emailed to you, and you need to complete and return the bus agreement.
- The hire fees must also be paid for your booking before the bus is picked up.
- Council requires copies of the group's public liability insurance; bus operator registration certificate and a copy of the driver's drivers licence to confirm your booking.
Read more about our Community Transport Policy here.