Filming and Photography

Hume City is a film-friendly location. We balance public safety and the local amenity of residents and businesses, with your filming or photography requirements. 

To film or conduct a shoot in Hume, you must have a film/photography permit issued by Council or a Council-approved plan. 

A filming permit ensures your activity is conducted in accordance with our local laws, road laws and the Filming Approval Act 2014. It also ensures that any disruptions to residents and businesses are minimal and parties that may be impacted are notified.

Do I need a film permit?

A filming permit will be required if any of the following conditions apply to your planned activity:

  • Your filming activity, inclusive of all production crew and talent, consists of more than six people.
  • You are undertaking commercial filming. Commercial filming includes television, feature films, advertising and television commercials, documentaries and music videos.
  • Your infrastructure exceeds one camera, one tripod and handheld sound recording equipment.
  • You intend to block a public footpath or road leaving less than 2.5 metres of pedestrian thoroughfare at any time.
  • You intend to implement pedestrian or traffic management.
  • Your activities will disrupt stakeholders (traders, residents and businesses) or motorists or other events in the vicinity of the activities.
  • You require vehicle access to a location.
  • You wish to film with a remote piloted aircraft (RPA) / drone.

If your filming does not involve any of the above, it is considered to be ‘low impact’ and you are not required to notify Hume City Council. If this is the case, it is still best to let us know what your plans are so we can ensure they don't interfere with any scheduled works or other users.

Filming Permit Application

To apply for a permit, please complete the application form(PDF, 187KB) and send it to

We will respond to your application within five business days of receiving it. Please note that if we need to make complex arrangements for your filming activity it may take us more than five days to issue a permit.

Low Impact Filming

If your filming activities are minor and ‘low impact’ you won’t need to fill out a permit application.

You will still need to contact us and obtain our permission for any low impact filming on public land.

To approve a low impact filming activity, we require proof of your current public liability insurance and 10 business days’ notice.

Filming Approval Act 2014

In August 2014 the Victorian Government passed new legislation to standardise the process for obtaining commercial filming permits on public land managed by local councils and state government agencies in Victoria.

The Filming Approval Act 2014, effective 1 March 2015, provides a framework for the approval of filming permits. It outlines eight film friendly principles and the guidelines for commercial filming on public land across the state.

Please refer to the Film Victoria website for further information.

More information

For a copy of the Victorian Film Friendly Guidelines and other resources on filming in Victoria, please refer to Film Victoria's Film in Victoria webpage