Filming and Photography

Hume City is a film-friendly location. We balance public safety and the local amenity of residents and businesses, with your filming or photography requirements. 

To film or conduct a shoot in Hume, you must have a film/photography permit issued by Council or a Council-approved plan. 

A filming permit ensures your activity is conducted in accordance with our local laws, road laws and the Filming Approval Act 2014. It also ensures that any disruptions to residents and businesses are minimal and parties that may be impacted are notified.

Do I need a film permit?

A filming permit will be required if any of the following conditions apply to your planned activity:

  • Your filming activity, inclusive of all production crew and talent, consists of more than six people.
  • You are undertaking commercial filming. Commercial filming includes television, feature films, advertising and television commercials, documentaries and music videos.
  • Your infrastructure exceeds one camera, one tripod and handheld sound recording equipment.
  • You intend to block a public footpath or road leaving less than 2.5 metres of pedestrian thoroughfare at any time.
  • You intend to implement pedestrian or traffic management.
  • Your activities will disrupt stakeholders (traders, residents and businesses) or motorists or other events in the vicinity of the activities.
  • You require vehicle access to a location.
  • You wish to film with a remote piloted aircraft (RPA) / drone.

If your filming does not involve any of the above, it is considered to be ‘low impact’ and you are not required to notify Hume City Council. If this is the case, it is still best to let us know what your plans are so we can ensure they don't interfere with any scheduled works or other users.

Please note that you must submit a Police Notification Form to Victoria Police if your filming involves the use of firearms, weapons, special effects, UAVs, traffic management, mock police scenes or scenes that may cause public concern.

If your filming requires traffic or pedestrian management, you will also be required to complete a Consent Application Form(PDF, 2MB) to work within a Hume City Council Road Reserve.

Low impact filming

If your filming activities are minor and ‘low impact’ you won’t need to fill out a permit application form.

You will still need to contact us and obtain our permission to film on public land. You can do this by emailing with the following information:

  • Date
  • Time
  • Location
  • Number of cast and crew
  • Description of scene/s to be filmed

To approve a low impact filming activity, we require proof of your current public liability insurance and 10 business days’ notice.


Apply for a film permit

To apply for a permit, please complete the below application form.

You can save and return to the form at any time. We will not process your application until you have submitted it.

If you are having technical difficulties and need support, please email

We will respond to your application within five business days of receiving it. Please note that if we need to make complex arrangements for your filming activity it may take up to 10 business days to issue a permit.

More information

Filming Approval Act 2014

In August 2014 the Victorian Government passed new legislation to standardise the process for obtaining commercial filming permits on public land managed by local councils and state government agencies in Victoria.

The Filming Approval Act 2014, effective 1 March 2015, provides a framework for the approval of filming permits. It outlines eight film friendly principles and the guidelines for commercial filming on public land across the state.

Please refer to the Film Victoria website for further information.

For a copy of the Victorian Film Friendly Guidelines and other resources on filming in Victoria, please refer to Film Victoria's Film in Victoria webpage