Asset Protection and Permit Requirements

Council's Asset Protection program is designed to keep Hume's infrastructure assets (like footpaths, kerb and drains) protected from damage resulting from building and construction activities.

You will need an Asset Protection Permit before you start some types of building work on your land.  Penalties may apply if:

  • a permit is not obtained prior to commencing building work, or
  • pre-existing damage to assets is not reported to Council.

Council's General Local Law No. 1 requires that builders and owner builders must obtain an Asset Protection Permit in the following circumstances:

  • carrying out building works costing more than $20,000; 
  • entering a building site with a motor vehicle weighing more than two tonnes;
  • occupying a road (including footpaths, vehicle crossings and nature strips) for works.  This includes placing a skip bin on a nature strip when being used for construction waste;
  • accessing a building site from a point other than a vehicle crossing.

Council must have issued the Asset Protection Permit before any building works are commenced. Our Asset Protection Officers will inspect the condition of infrastructure assets following the completion of your building works.

The Building and Works Code of Practice(PDF, 52KB) provides a range of information about managing building sites in Hume.  This document is designed for builders and others involved in construction and will help you to understand your obligations around safety and amenity during building activities. 

You can apply for an Asset Protection Permit online through Council's eHume portal.

Building Fee Schedule(PDF, 164KB) - (asset protection permit fees included)

You will first need to register for eHume if you do not already have a login.

Login to eHume

Register for eHume 

Pre-existing infrastructure damage must be recorded, so please take photographs for evidence, and include this information with your application.