Swimming Pool Safety Barriers and Registration

Pools and spa pools capable of holding water deeper than 300mm must be registered with Council. Pool owners must lodge with Council a certificate of barrier compliance (Form 23) issued by a Building Inspector or Surveyor.

The Form 23 certifies that compliant pool safety barriers are installed and must be updated and submitted to Council every four years.

Registration Process

Step 1.Submit your Registration Form

You can register your pool with Council online or by submitting this PDF application form(PDF, 170KB).

Register Your Pool Online

Read registration instructions(PDF, 461KB)

Step 2.We give you a due date

Council will write to you to confirm the registration of your pool or spa, and of the due date for your Certificate of Barrier Compliance to be submitted. Council will also advise you of the rules applying to your pool or spa.

  • Pools constructed between 1 May 2010 and 11 November 2020, your compliance certificate (Form 23) must be submitted by 1 June 2024.
  • For new pools, the certificate must be submitted within 30 days of being issued to be valid. 

Step 3.Arrange Your Inspection

You will need to arrange for a registered building surveyor or a building inspector to visit your property and certify that your pool safety barrier meets the safety regulations. You can find a qualified surveyor on the Victorian Building Authority website

Step 4.Lodge your Certificate of Barrier Compliance

Once your inspection has been completed and your pool area made compliant, you will need to submit your Form 23 compliance certificate by the due date provided to you.

Submit Certificate of Barrier Compliance

Registration Fees

The fees for Pool and Spa registration are set by the State Government in penalty units which increase each year. The current fees are:
  • Registration fee $34.20
  • Search fee for pools built before November 2020 $50.70
  • Lodgement fee for Certificate of Compliance $21.90
  • Lodgement fee for non-compliant pool $413.40 

Building Permits Required

A building permit must be issued by a Building Surveyor before commencing any building work on swimming pools, spas or safety barriers. This includes temporary pools or spas.  If you are having a new pool or spa constructed, a building permit is required to be issued.  When the building work is completed, your Building Surveyor will issue you with a Certificate of Final Inspection (Form 17) and a Form 23.  

Penalties for Non-Compliance

The following penalties can apply for non-compliance with the Victorian Government’s pool safety laws:

  • Failure to register your pool or spa – $1923.10 (10 penalty units) 
  • Failure to lodge a Certificate of barrier compliance with Council – $1923.10 (10 penalty units) 
  • Failure to lodge a Certificate of Barrier Non-Compliance with Council – $1923.10 (10 penalty units) 
  • Failure to maintain the safety barrier, and while in use – $9615.15 (50 Penalty Units) 

The value of a penalty unit is set each year by the Victorian State Government. 

If you no longer have a swimming pool or spa or you have decommissioned your pool or spa, Council can remove it from the register. Before removing your pool or spa from the register, Council needs to inspect the property to be satisfied that swimming pools are not capable of holding 300mm of water.

Approved methods of decommissioning the swimming pool may include the removal of above-ground swimming pool, total removal of an in-ground swimming pool or other methods (approved by Council) that make the pool or spa incapable of holding water to a depth of more than 300mm.

To notify Council that your swimming pool or spa has been decommissioned and to arrange an inspection, please use this form:

Click here to view form.

A relocatable or temporary swimming pool or spa must be registered if it is set up for more than three consecutive days.

If you are considering buying a property with a swimming pool or spa, you should make sure the pool is registered with Council and has a current certificate of compliance. Be aware that as the new owner of a property, you must make sure that the safety barrier complies and is maintained.  

If you are not sure whether the safety barrier complies, you should get the expert advice of a registered Building Surveyor or Building Inspector.

The following are exempt from the pool registration process:  

  • Structures or bodies such as bird baths, fish ponds, fountains
  • Spa baths inside a building that are used for personal hygiene which are emptied following use 
  • Inflatable swimming pools (typically toddler or wading pools) not capable of containing a depth of water greater than 300mm (30cm) 
  • Water supply/storage tanks 
  • Dams, rivers, creeks and lakes.

As a pool or spa owner, you have an obligation to maintain the operation of your swimming pool or spa barrier to prevent access to the pool or spa.

The following checklists will help you assess the safety/compliance of your barrier. The checklists are based on the relevant barrier standard associated with the date that the pool or spa was installed.

Checklist 1 (for pools and spas installed before 8 April 1991)

Checklist 2 (for pools and spas installed between 8 April 1991 and 30 April 2010)

Checklist 3 (for pools and spas installed from 1 May 2010)

If you are having any work done on an existing safety barrier, a permit may need to be issued to alter the barrier. Work to alter an existing barrier will need to comply with the current Regulations. Check with your building surveyor for advice.