Planning Investigations

Properties in Hume have planning controls that specify when planning permits are required and the Hume City Council Planning Investigations Team is responsible for enforcing breaches of the Hume Planning Scheme, breaches of planning permits and related agreements

Depending on the nature and seriousness of the problem, the Planning Investigation Team may do one or more of the following:

  • negotiate informally with the alleged offender - often the first step taken
  • serve a planning infringement notice
  • issue a 'Notice to Comply' specifying a time to bring the site into compliance and what is required to do so
  • apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) for an 'Enforcement Order'
  • initiate prosecution action at the Magistrates Court

Before you report an issue please see the following information sets available on our website and on other State Government websites to determine whether illegal development or land use has occurred:

Planning Permit information

Planning Guidelines and Zoning

Apiary Code of Practice


Report an Issue

A planning permit is generally not required for single dwellings or extensions. For further information please see Planning Permit Information Page

Investigation of development or works carried out without a planning permit or which are not consistent with an approved planning permit or endorsed plans or zoning provisions:

  • External changes to a property such as demolition or extension 
  • Overlooking issues with multi-story developments
  • Removal of trees or alterations to landscaping outside the approved plans


The Planning Investigations Team will Investigate alleged illegal use of land or use inconsistent with the Hume Planning Scheme or planning permit conditions.  For example:

  • Operating hours
  • Opening a home business not compliant with guidelines
  • Operating a motor vehicle wrecking business
  • Operating a waste recycling or landfill business
  • Bee keeping