The Audit and Risk Committee assists Council in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities including financial management, occupational health and safety, risk, privacy and governance. The Audit and Risk Committee reviews the year-end reporting process, the system of internal control, management of financial risks and the internal and external audit process. The Committee carries out its work bearing in mind Council's desire to operate in an ethical environment with good corporate governance practices.
Information on procedures for the selection and appointment of the Audit and Risk Committee
Independent members (3) of the Audit and Risk Committee are appointed for a fixed term of up to four years and are eligible for reappointment by Council to a maximum of eight years. At the expiry of a term, suitably qualified external applications with experience in financial management, risk management, auditing, local government or other relevant disciplines are sought. Applications are reviewed and shortlisted, with interviews conducted by a panel of Audit and Risk Committee members and senior Council officers. Councillor members are appointed at Council’s annual statutory meeting.
Information on procedure for selecting an Internal Audit Services provider
Council appoints its internal auditor through a public tender process. Applications are reviewed and shortlisted, with interviews conducted by a panel of Audit and Risk Committee members and senior Council officers. Hume City Council’s internal auditor reports to the Audit and Risk Committee and attends each Committee meeting. Council appointed HLB Mann Judd on 1 July 2021 as its internal audit services provider. This contract will expire on 30 June 2024.
Council’s Audit and Risk Committee have scheduled meetings for the following dates for 2022
Audit and Risk Committee Members
Independent Member of Hume City Council Audit and Risk Committee, April 2021 - April 2023
Independent Chair of the Hume City Council Audit and Risk Committee, April 2023 - present
Ms Johanson is a qualified and experienced Chartered Accountant and internal auditor, with over thirty years’ experience in internal audit in Australia and in the United Kingdom, at Andersen’s, as Head of Audit Services at ANZ, and currently working in a part time capacity in cyber security and privacy risk services with RSM Australia.
Ms Johanson is currently an independent member of:
- Audit and Risk Management Committee at Victoria’s Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission,
- Finance and Audit Committee of the Chief Minister Treasury and Economic Development of the ACT government,
- Finance, Risk and Audit Committee of Education Services Australia,
- Audit and Risk Committee of South Gippsland Shire Council, and
- Finance and Audit Committee of Trinity College, University of Melbourne
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (GAICD)
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Audit and Risk Committee of Brimbank City Council
(CIA, CPA, CA, CISA, CGEIT, MACS, CISM)
Independent Member of Hume City Council Audit and Risk Committee, April 2020 – present.
Shannon Buckley is an experienced audit and risk management professional with over 20+ years of audit, risk management and operational experience. He specialises in operational, IT and project audits.
He has 20 years of risk management and audit (external and internal audit) with experience in large multi-national organisations including Deakin, Telstra, National Australia Bank, Victorian Public Sector and Bupa Asia Pacific. His operational experience includes business process re-engineering and project management and delivery. He is a trained as a Six Sigma Black Belt.
He is author of numerous articles and has presented at a number of conferences on issues ranging from cybersecurity, risk culture and report writing. He is also an educator teaching at Post Graduate level. Shannon also sits on the Audit and Risk Committees of the City of Bendigo and Maryborough District Health Services.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Practicing Accounting (CPA)
- Certified Information System Auditor (CISA)
- Certified in Governance of IT (CGEIT)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) and Certified Fraud Examiner.
Independent Member of Hume City Council Audit and Risk Committee, May 2023 – present.
Bruce Potgieter has a vast breadth of knowledge and experience across a range of government and private sectors in relation to audit, risk management, and compliance. He has a demonstrated ability to respectfully challenge management where required and has a clear understanding of the challenges a growth Council such as Hume faces.
Bruce Potgieter also has a strong experience in the local government sector, which includes:
- Current and previous memberships of local government Audit Committees;
- As a VAGO agent for numerous local government audits;
- As an internal auditor for 10 metropolitan Councils through previous employment;
- As a member of the ICAA Local Government Taskforce;
- As Chair of the Municipal Association of Victoria Reporting Awards Committee;
- Conducting due diligence audits at 23 newly merged Councils during the Kennett government’s rationalization of the sector.
- Institute of Internal Auditors in Australia (no longer financial),
- Fellow, Institute of Chartered Accountants (no longer financial)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants,
- Member, Institute of Chartered Accountants - South Africa
- University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
Cr Naim Kurt and Cr Jarrod Bell
Cr Jodi Jackson and Cr Karen Sherry
Audit and Risk Committee Charter(PDF, 156KB)