When do Kindergarten registrations open?  

Registrations for kindergarten are open all year. You can complete an Expression of Interest form from the day your child is born to receive a prompt the year your child’s kindergarten registration is open. 

Apply or express your interest

What are Kindergarten fees for sessional kindergarten? 

Kindergarten is free for all Victorian three and four-year-old children.  

If you decide to send your child to a kindergarten program through your Long Day Care, you will need to discuss fees directly with the service.  

How do I change, cancel, defer or update details in my application 

Please email to make any changes to your application, including updates to your concession card details. 

What is Early Start Kindergarten? (ESK)

Early Start Kindergarten (ESK) provides up to 15 hours of free or low cost kindergarten per week to eligible three-year-old children in a kindergarten setting, where programs are offered by a qualified teacher.

Is my child eligible?

To be eligible, your child must be three years old by 30 April in the year they start kindergarten and meet one of the following criteria: 

  • Be from a refugee or asylum seeker background
  • Identify as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
  • Your family has had contact with Child Protection
  • Your child holds a child disability health care card

You can find out more at the vic gov website.

How do I register my child?

To register you child for early start kindergarten please complete the Online Kindergarten application.

What does the kinder tick mean?

The kinder tick helps Victorian families find a funded kindergarten program for their children.  When you see the Kinder Tick at services, you can be confident that:

  • the program is led by a qualified early childhood teacher
  • children will benefit from play-based learning
  • the kindergarten program is funded and approved by the Victorian Government
  • programs comply with government guidelines and the National Quality Framework.
Kinder Tick Logo

Which Kindergarten is right for me?

Each kindergarten is unique, offering certain hours, certain days and early education programs. Getting to know what service is right for you and your child may depend on location, program hours, child’s needs and more. We recommend arranging a meeting or utilising one of our Kindergarten drop-in sessions to find out more about your preferred service. 

Getting started with Kindergarten

Can I tour a Kindergarten?

Kindergarten open nights are held in Term 1 and Term 3 each year. 

For more information, keep referring to the our website for details, dates and times. 

For a kindergarten tour outside of the kindergarten open night, you can contact a kindergarten you're interested in directly.

Does Kindergarten have multicultural supports?

Our CALD Outreach support team provides support to families from a culturally and linguistically diverse background to: 

  • register and participate in a kindergarten program
  • access Early Years services across Hume, maternal and Child health, immunisation, Playgroups
  • Support with transitions from kindergarten to school.

My child has additional needs. Can they attend sessional kindergarten? What additional support is available?

Yes they can attend kindergarten, our Preschool Field Officers (PSFO) provide support to children with additional needs, their families and kindergarten educators, to ensure they are included in kindergarten. To learn about the supports on offer please visit the Preschool Field Officer page

Does my child need to be immunised?

Under the ‘No Jab, No Play’ legislation that came into force on 1 January 2016, children are required to be fully vaccinated for their age before they can be enrolled in any kindergarten program.

Documentation is required by your child’s kindergarten confirming that your child is:

  • fully vaccinated
  • is on a catch-up program
  • is unable to be fully immunised for medical reasons.

See child immunisations for more information

My child isn’t toilet trained. Is this an issue?

If your child is not toilet trained, they can still start kindergarten. 

What if I don’t think my child is ready to start school?  

During the Four-Year-Old Kindergarten year, the early childhood teacher and the child's parents and/or guardians will work together to plan for the child's transition to school.  

See second year funding for four year old kindergarten.

What is School Exemption?

If your child will turn 6 before or while they're in their first or second year of funded Four-Year-Old Kindergarten, you must get an exemption from starting school. Going to kindergarten if your child is 6 years old.

If you have any questions or concerns please email or call 9205 2538, alternatively phone 9205 2200.

Statement of commitment

Hume City Council is a child safe organisation with a zero tolerance for child abuse. Council actively listens to and supports children to be strong, confident and self-determined citizens. Council provides a safe working environment that values child safety, diversity and inclusion for all children aged 0 – 18 and adheres to the Victorian Child Safe Standards and related legislation. For more information view Child Safe and Wellbeing.