Pay Your Rates

You can pay your rates in a number of different ways whether it's online, in person, over the phone or via mail. You can also set up a regular payment arrangement with Council. 

If you are experiencing extreme financial hardship please seek support through our COVID-19 rate assistance payment options.


You will need to enter the Payment Reference Number from your rates notice. This seven digit number, commencing with a 9, is located next to the BPay or the POST Billpay logo on your notice.

Pay your rates 

You can also pay by:


Payment can be made by calling 13 18 16 and following the prompts.

In person

Visit our Customer Service Centres at:

  • Hume City Council, 1073 Pascoe Vale Road, Broadmeadows 3047
  • Hume Global Learning Centre - Craigieburn, 75-95 Central Park Avenue, Craigieburn 3064
  • Hume Global Learning Centre - Sunbury, 44 Macedon Street, Sunbury 3429


Mail your cheque or money order made out to Hume City Council together with the bottom portion of your rates notice to:

Hume City Council - Rates
PO BOX 119
Dallas 3047

Direct debit

You can arrange to pay your rates via direct debit or a payment booklet in:

  • Four instalments as per the due dates on your rates notice
  • Monthly payments starting 30 September and ending 31 May (9 total instalments per financial year); or
  • Weekly/ fortnightly payments

Set up a payment arrangement 

We understand the coronavirus is having an enormous impact on our community. To support ratepayers during this time, we have introduced a range of initiatives. Visit our COVID-19 Financial Hardship Support page for more information.

The collection of rates from property owners helps Council to deliver important services for our community.  

Rate payments also help us to build new roads, footpaths, walking and cycling paths and bridges, develop community facilities, stadiums and pavilions and upgrade sporting reserves, parks and playgrounds for the Hume community.

Rates across Hume are calculated annually based on the total amount of money required to provide and maintain essential services and infrastructure for the Hume community. 

This income is then divided by the total combined value of all properties in Hume and is then known as the rate in the dollar, which for the 2020/21 financial year is $0.0033216 (please note, this is a proposed rate in the dollar and will be confirmed when the 2020/21 Council Budget is approved in July 2020).  

Capital Improved Value (CIV)

Council calculates rates for each property by multiplying its value by the rate in the dollar. This is the Capital Improved Value (CIV). The CIV is the total market value of the land plus buildings and any other improvements. 

For example, an owner of a property with a CIV of $500,000 will pay $1652.80 in rates.  

The calculation is:  

  • $500,000 x 0.0033056 = $1,652.80, excluding any extra waste service charges and state government fire services levy. 

This formula means that the higher the CIV of a property, the higher the rates for its owner.

We value properties in Hume City every year following Victorian legislation. 

To work out how much each property is worth we use qualified valuers to assess your property based on:

  • property sales and rental data trends
  • location
  • the quality, size and position of the land
  • the size, age and condition of the building.
Yes, as a ratepayer you can object to a valuation of your property.
Objections must be made within two months of the date of the annual rates notice. The legislated timeframes set out in Section 18 of the Valuation of Land Act 1960 are obligatory. Neither Valuer-General Victoria nor a municipal council has the power to review the objection if it does not fall within the statutory time limit.
The objection can be made in relation to the value of a property or on other grounds specified in the Valuation of Land Act 1960. 

Before seeking an objection form please complete a valuation enquiry form online.

Alternatively, you can download and print your application.

If you object to a valuation, you must still pay your rates by the due date. Failure to pay rates by the required date generally results in interest being imposed. Any reduction in rates caused by a successful objection will then be credited to your account.

You may be eligible for a concession from Council or from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) if you hold a concession card.

In addition to holding one of the concession cards below, you must also:

  • ensure your concession card is current and valid
  • be the person responsible for payment of the rates
  • have your name on the rates notice
  • make sure the name and address on your rates notice matches that on your concession card.

Apply for a Municipal Rates Concession 

Apply for a Pension Rebate Retrospective Claim 

If your concession is approved, you do not need to reapply each year. We will check with DHHS annually to find out if you are still eligible for your concession. If you are no longer eligible, we will contact you to advise you that the concession has been removed.

Single Farm Enterprise exemption

Where multiple parcels of farm land are used to operate a single farming enterprise, a person may only be required to pay the fixed charge/municipal only charge once by applying for the single farming enterprise exemption.

To apply, a person must submit an application to the Council/s where the relevant properties are located. You must notify Council/s if the circumstances relating to your application change, as this may affect your eligibility for the exemption.

Download the single farm enterprise application form(DOC, 80KB)

Your rates notice also includes a separate Fire Services Levy, which we are obliged to collect on behalf of the State Government.

The Fire Services Property Levy includes a fixed charge of:

  • $111 for residential properties
  • $226 for non-residential properties.

For more information on the Fire Services Levy, visit or call 1300 300 635.

The State Government has capped rate increases at 2.5% for 2019/2020. We elected to apply the 2.5% increase, rather than seek an exemption from the cap. In 2020/21, the rate increase is 2%, which is in compliance with the State Government Rates Capping Legislation. 

It is important to remember that the cap does not apply to your individual bill but rather to the total amount of money that we are seeking from rates revenue. Most properties will experience rate increases that are slightly higher or lower than 2.5% in 2019/20 and 2% in 2020/21. 

To learn more, the Municipal Association of Victoria has produced a short video explaining rate-capping in simple terms.