Hume Small Business Grants
Small businesses make a large contribution to the local economy and add to the vibrancy and energy of Hume, which is why we are pleased to be offering our small business support grants.
All available spots for the Workshops have now been exhausted. At this stage, no additional workshops are planned.
Please only submit an application if you have attended a Grants Workshop.
If you submit an application, but have not attended a Workshop, it will be deemed ineligible.
Download a copy of the 2023/24 Hume City Small Business Grants Program Information Booklet(PDF, 237KB) and Hume City Small Business Grants Project Plan Template.(DOCX, 61KB)
Please note: only apply if you have attended a Hume Small Business Grants Workshop.
Applications for the Grant Program will close once the grant funding is expended.
Congratulations to the following successful businesses in Round 1 of 2022/23 Hume City Small Business Grants
- iBuild Building Solutions
- Sidcon Fabrications Pty Ltd
- Marson Industries Australia
- Sky Ledge
- Donnybrook Dental
- Second Chance Animal Rescue
- Yellow Flamingo
- Travel Marketplace Pty Ltd
- State of Nature Floral Studio
- URR Design Group Pty Ltd
- Advantage Caravan Repairs
- Keep In Motion Physiotherapy
- Finance In Heels
- Lago Fino
About the Program
Recognising the importance of supporting small businesses Hume City Council is offering $250,000 to be allocated for this grants program. It should be noted that the program is not an emergency support program and the maximum amount that a business can receive is $20,000 (plus GST).
The funding criteria has been developed to provide flexibility to the many businesses across Hume. Council encourages Home Based Businesses and Sole Traders to apply, providing they have been operational for a minimum of 12 months.
The Hume City Small Business Grant Program will close once the grant funding is expended.
What will be funded?
A wide range of projects and programs are eligible for a Hume City Small Business Grant. Some examples of projects that may be funded include:
- outdoor dining furniture and shades*
- dining canopy improvements*
- facade improvements including installing green infrastructure*
- capital works including business fit out
- digital strategy, marketing and website development
- investment in cybersecurity
- upskilling and training
- business mentoring
- upgrade to energy efficient/specialised equipment and/or software support
- export related activities
- research in innovative product development or service design.
*These projects are to be undertaken in accordance with the Hume City Footpath Trading Guidelines (please see website for details).
Businesses must fulfil the following conditions to be eligible for funding:
- be located within Hume City Council
- hold a current Australian Business Number (ABN)
- have 20 or fewer full time equivalent employees (excludes casuals)
- demonstrate solid growth or market potential
- hold all appropriate permits and licences; this will include but is not restricted to building and planning permits, liquor licence, health, bankruptcy, and any other statutory permits or licences that are required for the business to be legal
- provide evidence for a minimum of 2 years trading (through the financial documentation required)
- Council rates must be fully paid and up to date, or a payment plan in place
- hold current public liability insurance and provide evidence of insurance when applying (for a minimum of $10 million)
- not be in breach of any state/territory or local government law or regulation.
Home Based Businesses and Sole Traders are encouraged to apply, providing they have been operational for a minimum of 12 months.
The Hume City Small Business Grants Program will not support applicants that:
- are political organisations or are deemed to have a political purpose
- are government departments of agencies, foundations or grant making bodies
- are charities and have a primary focus of fundraising
- own or operate electronic gaming machines (EGM) or receive funding or in-kind support from EGM venues
- are sporting clubs
- denigrate, exclude or offend parts of the community.
What the grant will not fund
The Grant Program will not fund:
- everyday expenses or general bills, for example rent, rates, land taxes, wages, insurance or utilities. Funds cannot be used to purchase stock or for catering purposes.
- Project expenses that have already been incurred or the project has been completed prior to the applicant being advised of the outcome of their application.
- Applications will be assessed by an Assessment Panel
- only one application per business can be submitted
- applicants will be notified of an outcome as soon as is practicable
- Hume City Council reserves the right to request further information when considering any application
- any application that does not meet the eligibility criteria will not be considered
- Hume City Council reserves the right to part-fund applications
- all funding decisions are final.
During the assessment process the applicant may be requested to furnish evidence that they meet all legislative requirements. Prior to the referral of submissions to the Assessment Panel, Council Officers will also undertake separate checks.
Applicants who do not meet the requirements, or do not provide the relevant documentation, will not be considered.
What to do when you have applied
Once you submitted your application you will receive an email acknowledging receipt of your application from SmartyGrants. Please keep this reference number handy in case you need to refer to it in future.
A Council Officer will be in touch if further information is required.
Terms and Conditions for successful applicants
Applicants are required to comply with the following terms and conditions:
- Successful applicants will be required to sign a Letter of Agreement and submit an Acquittal Report evidencing the invoices and receipts for the approved funding and demonstrate how the grant helped support the business.
- Only one application per business can be submitted.
- Payment terms from Hume City Council to the successful application is 30 days from the date of invoice, subject to the receipt of a signed Letter of Agreement, tax invoice and other requested information. This may include revised budgets and project details.
- Hume City Council will not be responsible for shortfalls in project budgets if the grant recipient is unable to meet project costs.
- The grant money is to be spent for the purpose described as per the signed Agreement. If an amendment to the project plan is required, Council must be notified in writing.
- Any unspent money will be returned to Council.
- Unsuccessful applicants are eligible to re-apply for future funding rounds in accordance with grant guidelines.
- All applicants will be notified of the result of their application.
- The applicant names, project names and funding amounts of successful applicants will be publicly available, including but not restricted to publication on Council’s website, media releases and other Council publications.
- Any canvassing or lobbying of Councillors, Council officers or members of the Assessment Panel is strictly prohibited and will result in applications deemed ineligible.
- The grant program will not accept applications whereby the product or service has been purchased before the applicant has been advised of the outcome of their application and received a Letter of Agreement.
- Applicants must disclose if they employ current employees and/or immediate family members of Hume City Council.
- Grants must be acquitted as specified in the Letter of Agreement.
- Hume City Council reserves the right to request further information when considering applications.
- Any application that is ineligible or does not meet the eligibility criteria will be rejected.
- Hume City Council reserves the right to part-fund applications.
- Funding decisions are final.
If you require further information or have any questions, please email email@example.com