Register Your Pet

State law in Victoria requires all dogs and cats over three months of age to be:

  • microchipped
  • registered with Council.

Your pet is also required to wear their Council-issued registration tag.

Just because your pet is microchipped does not mean that it is registered with Council - you have to do it separately. Your pet's registration tag is its ticket home if it was ever to escape or get lost, so please make sure your pet is wearing their lifetime registration tag at all times.

Benefits of registering your pets with Council.

To register your pet with Council, your pet must be microchipped and the microchip number must be included on your registration form. Proof of microchipping (e.g. microchip certificate) must also be provided with your registration form.

Register your pet online

You will need to enter the Animal ID number, which is located on the left-hand side of the Notice (just below the small barcode). Please do not enter the Tag number by mistake.

If you are unable to complete the online form, you may submit and pay your hard copy new animal registration form with Council either:

  • In person at a Council Office.
  • By mail with cheque or money order payable to Hume City Council.

You need to pay your pet's registration by 10 April each year.

To pay or renew, simply make the payment.

Pay / renew your pet registration online

You will not receive a new registration tag each year with your annual renewal notice. If your pet has lost the registration tag you received in 2018 or the tag is damaged, it can be replaced for a small fee. Please visit one of our three Customer Service Centres for a new tag.

Council charges no registration fee for guide dogs or State or Commonwealth dogs, e.g. Border Force dogs and Police dogs.

You may be eligible for a reduced registration fee if your pet is:

  • desexed
  • obedience trained
  • over 10 years of age
  • member of an approved association*
  • is a working dog
  • kept for breeding purposes at a registered domestic animal business

Further discounted fees apply to pension concession card holders, and DVA Gold Card holders specifying either War Widow or TPI.

Health care card holders, pension concession card holders and DVA Gold Card holders can obtain a voucher for discounted desexing for your dog or cat. Find out how to obtain a desexing voucher.

Current Registration Fees

Dogs Standard Fee Concession Fee Description
Full $96.95 $50.45 Dog with none of the below categories or declared menacing dogs (no concession applicable).
Reduced $35.00 $19.45 One or a combination of the following: desexed; over 10 years old; kept for the purposes of breeding by a proprietor of a Domestic Animal Business; working dog; member of an approved association*; or has undertaken obedience training* which complies with the regulations. Proof must be provided for all criteria.
Exempt Free Free Guide dogs/puppies and State or Commonwealth Dogs.
Guard Dog, Restricted Breed Dog, Dangerous Dog $320.00 N/A Restricted breed dog; declared dangerous dog; dogs kept on non-residential properties (these are automatically deemed a dangerous dog); and dogs trained to attack. There is no reduced fee for this category.


Cats Standard Fee Concession Fee Description
Full $61.45 $32.75 Cat with none of the below categories.
Reduced $23.15 $13.60 One or a combination of the following: desexed, over 10 years old; kept for the purposes of breeding by a proprietor of a Domestic Animal Business; or member of an approved association*. Proof must be provided for all criteria.

*Approved Associations and Obedience Training Associations 

If your pet passes away please update your details online so you do not receive a renewal notice. You can also complete the details on the rear of the form and return it to Council.

Update your pet registration details online

If your pet moves out of Hume, please ensure you update the Microchip database with your new address details, to ensure your pet can be returned to you if you no longer live in Hume City.

Update Microchip details