Refugee and Asylum Seekers
Refugees and people seeking asylum deserve dignity, respect and safety.
Hume City Council is committed to raising awareness of the issues affecting refugees and people seeking asylum, advocate for their rights, as well as create a culture of welcome and celebrate positive contributions made by refugees to the Hume community.
Refugee Welcome Zone Leadership Group
Hume City Council, as part of the Refugee Welcome Zone, has made a commitment in spirit to:
- Welcoming refugees into the community,
- Upholding the human rights of refugees,
- Demonstrating compassion for refugees and
- Enhancing cultural and religious diversity in the community.
Hume City Council has also joined the Leadership Group to further strengthen the strategic direction of the initiative and enable the Refugee Council of Australia to provide greater support for the initiative and ultimately enhancing social cohesion and inclusion across our communities.
Local Government Mayoral Taskforce People Seeking Asylum and Back Your Neighbour Campaign
Hume City Council is an executive member of the Local Government Mayoral Taskforce Supporting People Seeking Asylum, working with 39 Councils across Australia to advocate for the rights of people seeking asylum to the Federal Government and Victorian Government.
The Taskforce’s Back Your Neighbour Campaign advocates for
- people seeking asylum living in limbo for up to 8 years while their applications for asylum are stuck in a broken system
- people seeking asylum who live in the community who are denied access to a number of critical support services such as Medicare, income support, public housing, homelessness, education, mental health and material aid.
Refugee Week aims to both raise awareness about the issues affecting refugees around the world and also celebrate the contributions refugees make to Australian society. Refugee Week in Australia is always held from Sunday to Saturday of the week which includes 20 June (World Refugee Day).
Hume City Council celebrates Refugee Week every year with local activities, events and festivals.
For more information contact Celia Chang, Multicultural Community Development Officer via phone 0477 177 920 or email email@example.com.