Hume Community Hubs were established in Hume City over eight years ago and were expanded to nine Hubs under the Supporting Parents Developing Children Project which ran from 2011-2014. There are now 15 Community Hubs located in Hume schools and they are part of the National Community Hubs Program.
- The Hubs are based in primary schools and are planned around local needs.
- The Hubs support families’ in their children’s learning and development, and provide knowledge and training opportunities for parents.
- The Hubs act as a gateway to services, information and learning and increases connection with their community and the broader networks in Hume City.
Each Hub has a Hub Coordinator who offers a warm, supportive environment and helps parents and community members to create vocational pathways and move through volunteering, training, education and employment. The Hubs are open to families in the local community as well as school families.
Some of the programs that the Hubs provide are:
- English classes
- Community kitchens and gardens
- Parenting and family support programs
- Breakfast clubs
- Linking to specialist services e.g. GPs, Maternal and Child Health
- Special interest activities e.g. sewing
- Social connection opportunities, e.g. coffee and chat
- Certificate courses
The Community Hubs in Hume are part of the National Community Hubs Program of which there are 93 nationally, based in QLD, NSW and Victoria. The Hume Hubs are funded by Department of Social Services, Hume City Council and the schools they are located in.
There are 15 Hume Community Hubs across Hume. To find out more about the program download the Hume Community Hubs Brochure(PDF, 2MB)
Hume Community Hubs locations:
Community Hubs staff and participants put together a cookbook of favourite family recipes, to celebrate 2020 Refugee Week.
Community Hubs cookbook(PDF, 10MB)
Community Hubs staff and participants put together a book of images and personal stories to acknowledge the Unity theme of 2021 Refugee Week.
Hubs Story Book 2021(PDF, 3MB)