Frequently Asked Questions

Can I find out my rates balance online?


All you have to do is request for a copy of your rates notice. This can be mailed out to you or sent via email.  

If I have misplaced my rates notice, can I get another copy?


The quickest way to request a copy of a rates notice or tip pass is online.


Can I get my rates notice send to my inbox instead of in the mail?


Receiving your rates notice electronically is environmentally friendly and makes it quick and easy to pay your rates online.

How is my property valued?

We value properties in Hume City on 1 January every year, following Victorian legislation. This is to ensure rates are assessed using current market values.

Property inspections are conducted externally by Certified Practicing Valuers and all relevant sales are analysed by the valuers to build a profile of the level of values for each particular area and property type. The information is then applied to individual properties, taking into account factors such as land size, age, building size and condition.

Can I object my property valuation?

Rate payers can object to their property valuations within two months of the date of the 2023/24 annual rates notice.

You can do this via the online portal operated by the Department of Transport and Planning (DTP) on behalf of the Victorian Government, response times can take up to four weeks.

Object to property valuation

The two month period for objecting to the valuations as listed on the Council rates notice closed on Monday 13 November 2023.

The legislated timeframes set out in Section 18 of the Valuation of Land Act 1960 are obligatory. The portal will not accept objections outside the permitted time.

Can I get a concession?

You may be eligible for a concession from Council or from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) if you hold a concession card.

In addition to holding one of the concession cards below, you must also:

  • ensure your concession card is current and valid
  • be the person responsible for payment of the rates
  • have your name on the rates notice
  • make sure the name and address on your rates notice matches that on your concession card.

Apply for a Municipal Rates Concession 

Apply for a Pension Rebate Retrospective Claim 

If your concession is approved, you do not need to reapply each year. We will check with DHHS annually to find out if you are still eligible for your concession. If you are no longer eligible, we will contact you to advise you that the concession has been removed.

Can I create or change a payment plan?


You can arrange to pay your rates via direct debit or a payment booklet in:

  • Four instalments as per the due dates on your rates notice
  • Monthly payments starting 30 September and ending 31 May (9 total instalments per financial year); or
  • Weekly/ fortnightly payments

Set up a payment arrangement 

You can apply for a weekly, fortnightly or monthly direct debit payment plan to spread the payment of your rates. If you currently have an existing payment plan set up with us, but now need to make changes, you can apply for a new payment arrangement.  

Create or change a payment arrangement 

You can also pay your rates by arranging a regular deduction from your Centrelink payment through Centrepay.

Pay via Centrepay(PDF, 137KB)

Can I update my details with Council online?


The quickest and easiest way to update your details with us is online.

How are my rates calculated?

Rates across Hume are calculated annually based on the total amount of money required to provide and maintain essential services and infrastructure for the Hume community. 

This income is then divided by the total combined value of all properties in Hume and is then known as the rate in the dollar, which for the 2023/24 financial year is $0.0023143. 

Capital Improved Value (CIV)

Council calculates rates for each property by multiplying its value by the rate in the dollar. This is the Capital Improved Value (CIV). The CIV is the total market value of the land plus buildings and any other improvements. 

For example, an owner of a property with a CIV of $600,000 will pay $1,388.58 in rates.  

The calculation is:  

  • $600,000 x 0.0023143 = $1,388.58, excluding any extra waste service charges and state government fire services levy. 

This formula means that the higher the CIV of a property, the higher the rates for its owner. You can read more about how properties are valued below.

What is the Fire Services Levy?

Your rates notice also includes a separate Fire Services Levy, which we are obliged to collect on behalf of the State Government.

The Fire Services Property Levy includes a variable rate depending on the type of property and a fixed charge of:

  • $125 for residential properties
  • $254 for non-residential properties.

For more information on the Fire Services Levy, visit or call 1300 300 635.

What are the Kerbside Waste Charge and the Public Waste Charge?

Your rates notice includes a separate Kerbside Waste Charge and Public Waste Charge.

These two charges make up the Waste Service Charge, which was introduced on 1 July 2023. The cost of providing waste services has been removed from the general rates and itemised separately. The rate in the dollar used to calculate your property's general rates has been reduced accordingly.

This change allows us to be more transparent about where your money goes, as well as helping us keep up with the rising cost of waste and recycling services.

Visit the Waste Service Charge page for more information.

What is rate capping?

Every year the State Government sets a cap on how much councils can increase their rates and municipal charges. It does not apply to waste charges or the fire services levy.

The rate cap does not apply to your individual rates bill. It applies to the total overall rates revenue collected by Council. The relative change to your property's general rates each year is determined by the value of your property and may vary from the rate cap.

The rate cap for 2023/24 is 3.50%.

Learn more about rate capping:


Video transcript

Download rate capping fact sheet

Can I apply for a Single Farm Enterprise Exemption?

Where multiple parcels of farm land are used to operate a single farming enterprise, a person may only be required to pay the fixed charge/municipal only charge once by applying for the single farming enterprise exemption.

To apply, a person must submit an application to the Council/s where the relevant properties are located via post. You must notify Council/s if the circumstances relating to your application change, as this may affect your eligibility for the exemption.

Download the single farm enterprise application form(DOC, 80KB)