The Audit and Risk Committee assists Council in fulfilling its oversight responsibilities including financial management, occupational health and safety, risk, privacy and governance. The Audit and Risk Committee reviews the year-end reporting process, the system of internal control, management of financial risks and the internal and external audit process. The Committee carries out its work bearing in mind Council's desire to operate in an ethical environment with good corporate governance practices.
Information on procedures for the selection and appointment of the Audit and Risk Committee
Independent members (3) of the Audit and Risk Committee are appointed for a fixed term of up to four years and are eligible for reappointment by Council to a maximum of eight years. At the expiry of a term, suitably qualified external applications with experience in financial management, risk management, auditing, local government or other relevant disciplines are sought. Applications are reviewed and shortlisted, with interviews conducted by a panel of Audit and Risk Committee members and senior Council officers. Councillor members are appointed at Council’s annual statutory meeting.
Information on procedure for selecting an Internal Audit Services provider
Council appoints its internal auditor through a public tender process. Applications are reviewed and shortlisted, with interviews conducted by a panel of Audit and Risk Committee members and senior Council officers. Hume City Council’s internal auditor reports to the Audit and Risk Committee and attends each Committee meeting. Council appointed HLB Mann Judd on 1 July 2021 as its internal audit services provider. This contract will expire on 30 June 2024.
Council’s Audit and Risk Committee have scheduled meetings for the following dates for 2022
Friday 23 February 2023
Friday 26 May 2023
Monday 25 August 2023
Friday 24 November 2023
Audit and Risk Committee Members
Independent Member of Hume City Council Audit and Risk Committee, April 2021 - April 2023
Independent Chair of the Hume City Council Audit and Risk Committee, April 2023 - present
Ms Johanson is a qualified and experienced Chartered Accountant and internal auditor, with over thirty years’ experience in internal audit in Australia and in the United Kingdom, at Andersen’s, as Head of Audit Services at ANZ, and currently working in a part time capacity in cyber security and privacy risk services with RSM Australia.
Ms Johanson is currently an independent member of:
- Audit and Risk Management Committee at Victoria’s Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission,
- Finance and Audit Committee of the Chief Minister Treasury and Economic Development of the ACT government,
- Finance, Risk and Audit Committee of Education Services Australia,
- Audit and Risk Committee of South Gippsland Shire Council, and
- Finance and Audit Committee of Trinity College, University of Melbourne
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (GAICD)
- Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Audit and Risk Committee of Brimbank City Council
(CIA, CPA, CA, CISA, CGEIT, MACS, CISM)
Independent Member of Hume City Council Audit and Risk Committee, April 2020 – present.
Shannon Buckley is an experienced audit and risk management professional with over 20+ years of audit, risk management and operational experience. He specialises in operational, IT and project audits.
He has 20 years of risk management and audit (external and internal audit) with experience in large multi-national organisations including Deakin, Telstra, National Australia Bank, Victorian Public Sector and Bupa Asia Pacific. His operational experience includes business process re-engineering and project management and delivery. He is a trained as a Six Sigma Black Belt.
He is author of numerous articles and has presented at a number of conferences on issues ranging from cybersecurity, risk culture and report writing. He is also an educator teaching at Post Graduate level. Shannon also sits on the Audit and Risk Committees of the City of Bendigo and Maryborough District Health Services.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Practicing Accounting (CPA)
- Certified Information System Auditor (CISA)
- Certified in Governance of IT (CGEIT)
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) and Certified Fraud Examiner.
Third independent member
At its meeting held on 8 May 2023, Council made the following resolutions:
- That Mr Bruce Potgieter be appointed to the role of independent member of the Audit and Risk Committee for an initial period of four years, up to a maximum of eight years in accordance with the Audit and Risk Committee Charter.
- That the Mayor, Cr Joseph Haweil, formally write to Mr Bruce Potgieter offering him the position.
- That the Acting Manager Governance write to all applicants advising them of the decision, following acceptance to the position by Mr Bruce Potgieter.
Cr Karen Sherry and Cr Jarrod Bell
Audit and Risk Committee Charter(PDF, 156KB)
Audit and Risk Committee Business Undertaken July 2022- December 2022(PDF, 4MB)
Audit and Risk Committee Work Program for 2022-2023(PDF, 170KB)
Audit and Risk Committees - A Guide to Good Practice for Local Government(PDF, 1MB)