Trading Laws

If you are starting a business or trading within Hume City there are often local laws to follow as well as permits or licences to obtain. These laws are designed to keep residents and visitors safe and create a vibrant and prosperous community.

Footpath trading

Footpath trading makes an important contribution to the retail and hospitality industry; our local laws ensure that outdoor dining and footpath trading will enrich Hume City’s liveability and support small business growth.

To apply to display an A-Board sign on Council land, fill out the Application for Advertising A-Board sign and return it Council. 

A-board Application Form(PDF, 188KB) 

For more information regarding conditions for the placement of signs, refer to the following A-board Conditions and Information(PDF, 117KB).

Buskers under the age of 16 years of age must have parental or legal guardian consent to apply for a permit. It is mandatory that children under this age have parental or legal guardian supervision at all times while performing.

Buskers may give audiences an opportunity to provide voluntary donations by placing a container on their site. Buskers may not approach individuals requesting money or solicit funds in a way that is offensive to members of the public.

To find out more information about Council's conditions and guidelines or to apply for a permit see the Busking Permit Application.

Please ensure you read Council's conditions before applying for a permit.

A permit is required to place outdoor eating furniture or display of goods outside your business on Council land. 

You must complete the application and provide all relevant documentation in order for your application to be processed. A non-refundable application fee applies and permits are due for renewal on 31 August each year.

When submitting an application the applicant must provide:

  • A current copy of your public liability insurance to the value of $10 million noting Council as a interested party
  • A current copy of your liquor License (if wanting to serve alcohol)
  • A diagram, sketch, design or photo of the area and items being placed within prescribed trading zone

To find out more information about Council's conditions and guidelines or to apply for a permit please use our online form:

Apply Online - Permit to Display Goods

Apply Online - Permit to Place Outdoor Furniture and Associated Facilities

Roadside trading

Traders operating a mobile food van, ice cream van, fundraising or selling other goods from the side of the road need  a permit to do so. In addition, operations that deal with food require registration under the Food Act 1984.

All real estates require a permit from Council to place signs on our Road Reserves. 

For more information about conditions for the placement of signs and to apply, refer to Real Estate Permit Guidelines(PDF, 1MB) and Real Estate Signage Application Form(PDF, 85KB)

Fundraising permits allow charities to collect funds on footpaths, at intersections and set up street stalls within Hume.

There are different permits depending on what activity you wish to conduct.

Council charges no fee for fundraising permits, however there is a limit on how many permits can be issued. You can only apply for twelve permits per calendar year, one day per month. Any additional requests may be considered on a case by case basis.

Applications must be accompanied by the relevant request supporting documentation to be considered.

 Fundraising permit application

Fundraising activity permits

Fundraising activity permits are for charitable organisations or not-for-profits that are looking to conduct a fundraising appeal, pledge program or a door knock to raise money.

Street stall and leaflet distribution

Street stall and leaflet distribution activities are for organisations that would like to set up a display on Council land and share information. The Environmental Protection Act 1970 places certain restrictions on the distribution of material such as leaflets which may become litter. This means when applying for a permit you must provide a litter management plan to ensure any distributing material does not end up as litter.

Highway collection permits

Highway collections must be submitted to Council and then to Victoria Police for approval. Applications must be submitted one month prior to the event date and not more than six months in advance of the event date.

If Council permission is granted to conduct highway collections, you will be required to submit an application under regulation 28 of the Road Safety (Traffic Management) Regulations 2009 with Victoria Police. For more information, visit the Victoria Police website.

A permit is required to sell goods from the side of the road or municipal place. Traders operating a mobile food van, ice cream van, or selling other goods from the side of the road will need to obtain a permit. A statement of Trade from FoodTrader must be obtained and provided with your application. 

You must complete the application and provide all relevant documentation in order for your application to be processed. An application fee applies, or you can pay an annual fee.

To complete the roadside trading/ice cream van permit application you will be required to:

  1. Fill out the application form
  2. Attach a current copy of your public liability noting Hume City Council as an interested party, FoodTrader Certificate and attach a map that clearly indicates the location of where you wish to trade (maximum of two locations).
  3. Once the information supplied has been verified, Council will issue an invoice by post to the postal address supplied
  4. Application fee is non-refundable.

Permits can only be granted for Council-controlled roads or road related areas. No permits will be granted for any reserves, parks, lookouts or car parks. If you would like to trade on private property, you do not need a roadside trader permit but you may require a planning permit.

Many major roads are controlled by Vic Roads, and Council is unable to issue permits for those areas. Please check on this map to see if your preferred location is on a VicRoads road. If so, please direct your enquiry to VicRoads.

Council will take into consideration the following when assessing your application:

  • The requirements of Council's Health Department for the sale of food items. (If registered with another Council under the Food Act 1984, then that Registration Certificate will need to be produced. Otherwise it will be necessary to register with the Hume City Council Health Department. The van must meet the requirements of the Food Act 1984 and any Regulations in force pursuant to the Act).
  • Each van must be available for inspection by Council's Health Department (if applicable).
  • The days and times that itinerate trade is to be conducted.
  • The area in which the trade is proposed to be carried out, priority will be given to existing businesses of a similar nature.
  • The requirements of VicRoads.
  • The requirements of relevant Council Departments.
  • Access to toilet facilities.

Roadside trading and ice cream van permit application

Other related laws

Under the Domestic Animals Act 1994, a Domestic Animal Business is considered to be:

  • An animal shelter
  • A pet shop (must be open at least five days per week)
  • A breeding establishment where the owner has between three and 10 fertile female dogs or cats, is not a member of an applicable organisation, and breeds to sell.
  • A dog training establishment (where the business is run for profit)
  • An establishment boarding dogs or cats (where the business is run for profit to provide overnight, daycare or home care boarding).

These businesses must register their premises as a Domestic Animal Business with Council before they can operate. Domestic Animal Business registration must be renewed annually.

Application to Register or Transfer a Domestic Animal Business(PDF, 669KB)

Council officers conduct thorough Annual audits on Domestic Animal Businesses to ensure they are registered with Council, comply with the Domestic Animals Act 1994, all codes of practice, Council's local and planning laws. 

Please contact Council's planning department to check that planning permits cover the type of business you intend to operate and attach this permit with your application. Your application will not be approved without a current planning permit.

For more information see Agriculture Victoria's website regarding Domestic Animal Businesses or contact the City Laws team on 9205 2200.

Any questions or concerns can be directed to our City Laws team by emailing or calling Councils Customer Service team on 03 9205 2200.