Disability Parking Permits are changing to the Accessible Parking Permit (APP) Scheme and new online service.
The new APP Scheme and online service will provide significant improvements in the administration and enforcement of accessible parking, freeing up parking bays for the people who really need them.
The new APP Scheme aligns with the national Australian Disability Permit Scheme (ADPS) and provides for a consistent process and permit across Victoria.
Many improvements have been made, including:
- making sure the eligibility criteria for a permit is consistent across the state
- allowing occupational therapists to complete assessments, in addition to GPs,
- introducing a permanent disability classification, so many will no longer have to return for reassessment,
- increasing the permit length from three years to five years for individuals,
- providing temporary permits for 6, 12 or 24 months,
- a new single permit design to be used across the state.
The new centralised and digitised scheme will reduce the subjectivity of the functional assessment and enable greater ability for councils to enforce the scheme. A reduction in duplicate and misused permits will occur through system-wide crosschecks and visibility across council boundaries. Councils will now also have state-wide visibility on permits at the parking bay to assist with enforcement. All existing Hume City Council permits will remain valid until they expire.
For more information on the coming changes to disability parking, visit VicRoads Accessible Parking Permit (APP) Scheme.
You can now apply for Accessible Parking Permits online
Hume City Council is now processing parking permit applications online as part of our adoption of the new state-wide Accessible Parking Permit (APP) Scheme.
Three different parking permits are issued under the APP Scheme:
- An Australian Disability Parking (ADP) Permit - formerly the Category 1 Blue disabled permit.
- A Double Time (DT) Permit - formerly the Category 2 Green permit.
- An ADP Organisation Permit – formerly Blue organisation permit.